h2ofun1
2 Iron

RE: Installing SSD as boot drive in XPS 8900

Jump to solution

Just leave it as Raid, which I have done. No issues.  The only way to change once you loaded is to edit in the registery, and then change bios after a boot. I have done and is a real pain.

0 Kudos
w7ox
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Good to hear of your progress, Robb.

I blew off AHCI and all worked fine.  It is not necessary per the poster just above.

Phi

0 Kudos
OaklandRobb
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Thanks to all for the help. I will follow the advice and ignore AHCI. Not really sure how much of a difference it makes. And frankly, based on the things I do, the primary advantage of the SSD for me is boot time and that is significantly improved. And I know over time, boot time on a standard hard drive just continues to increase. 

Also, I have attached a screen shot below from Disc Management. It seems to imply that the Samsung Data Migration software was successful in creating a recovery partition on the SSD. I know other people indicated that did not happen.  Let me know if you agree that it was successful. It isn't that important since I am keeping the Seagate in the system, and can easily make it the boot drive if necessary. 

Robb

0 Kudos
w7ox
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Yes it creates a recovery partition, no it does not create the total Dell original recovery partitions.

Here's what my HDD partition looks like:

Try creating a recovery image from your SSD and let us know what happens.

Phil

0 Kudos
w7ox
2 Iron

Jump to solution

I just found an interesting approach to cloning to SSD that may work here:

http://www.easeus.com/todo-backup-resource/upgrade-ssd-windows-10.html

Since I have the software already installed, and a spare 1 TB SSD, I'll give it a try today and report back.

Phil

0 Kudos
withfries2
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I was wondering the same thing, and here's the order I ended up doing things in:

1. Booted the XPS 8900 from its factory hard drive to make sure everything worked. Verified that Windows 10 was activated.
  2. Used the Windows 10 media creation tool to create a bootable WIndows 10 installation USB drive.
  3. Added the SSD.
  4. Did a fresh install of Windows 10. Because this computer was factory installed with Windows 10, I did not need to enter a license key during the installation.
  5. Downloaded the Dell update tool from the XPS 8900 drivers page.
  6. Had the update tool find the necessary drivers.
  7. Updated the BIOS using the download from the drivers page.

All seems to be working. I get a boot screen on power on that asks me to select which version of Windows 10 to boot, since I have one on my SSD and one on my HDD now. I might keep it around as a backup, and just set the computer to automatically boot my SSD.

Hope this helps.

TedTheDev
1 Copper

Jump to solution

*** answer. You want the OS and applications on the SSD to see the speed benefits of the OS booting and applications loading.

0 Kudos