Philip_Yip
5 Iridium

RE: Installing a new SSD to my new XPS 8700

Jump to solution

If the recovery media from Dell Backup and Recovery is used it will be identical to the factory installation with all the system drivers preinstalled.

There may be some driver updates but everything should work out the box.

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
cjk42
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi, I have an 8700 that came with Windows 7 Pro and has been upgraded to 10 Pro. When I tried to follow your instructions, I get stuck at changing the settings in the BIOS to AHCI/UEFI/SecureBoot. My machine has been upgraded to Windows 10 but was/is set to Legacy Boot. When I try to change it to UEFI, I get the following error:

No Boot Device Available, F1 to try again, F2 to run setup utility, SATA 0 and 1 installed, rest are none.

I get this error if I change everything (UEFI on, Secure Boot on, Legacy Option ROM off) or if I only change UEFI to enable it. This has me nervous about proceeding with anything else.

Do you have any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

you need to reinstall the OS once you change these settings. You should be booting from a USB and clean installing after these settings are applied.

Dr Philip Yip

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
cjk42
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks so much! One more quick question, will changing to UEFI etc mess anything up with Windows recognizing my key/license or will it just carry over?

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

It is the same hardware and the key will be automatically input from the UEFI BIOS from the correct installation media during installation.

Dr Philip Yip

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
cjk42
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi Philip, I just wanted to thank you for your help here and especially on your website. I was pretty nervous about doing this but after your answers above, I followed your instructions and now have an SSD/HDD machine with a clean Windows 10 install on UEFI and Secure Boot. It is amazing how much faster the SSD makes it. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Dan-H
3 Zinc

Jump to solution

In order to proceed with the cloning you would have to have both the SSD and the SATA with the same storage space. And a specific software would not be required since the raid feature will be present in the BIOS. If the requirements are met you would be able to clone the hard drives.

With all due respect, this is incorrect and misleading. 

There are many free and commercially available software packages that can clone drives of different sizes.  Acronis and easeus are two I have personally used in the past year to clone "larger" drives to "smaller" SSDs.

As long as the "In-Use" source drive is less than the size of the target is is trivial to use either acronis or easeus to map the boot sectors, recovery partitions etc from a larger drive to a smaller drive. 

For some reason when I post links my posts get moderated so I won't bother. 

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

Hi Philip, I just wanted to thank you for your help here and especially on your website. I was pretty nervous about doing this but after your answers above, I followed your instructions and now have an SSD/HDD machine with a clean Windows 10 install on UEFI and Secure Boot. It is amazing how much faster the SSD makes it. Thanks again.

Great! Thanks for letting me know you had a successful install. SSDs make a noticeable performance boost. 🙂

Dr Philip Yip

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos