Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 15th, 2017 17:00

Instructions for adding SSD to 3668?

Sorry for the slightly duplicate question, but I haven't seen any exact instructions for adding an SSD drive to a 3668 desktop. I've seen that it needs a splitter for the power portion of it, but not any actual instructions, or if it needs a bracket of any sort. Maybe there are instructions for another model that are exactly the same? I'd like the SSD to be primary and the 1 TB that comes with it to be secondary. Thank you.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

September 18th, 2017 15:00

You should first power off, disconnect the power cable, open the case cover. Then check for what hardware may be needed (SATA cable, empty 2.5" drive caddy). See the Inspiron 3668 Service Manual for discussion about replacing hard drives to give you an idea. There is not dedicated SSD port on that motherboard. The 2.5"/7mm height 128GB/256GB SSDD that we sell connect to a SATA3 port. So you will need a SATA cable and the X9FV3 2.5" drive caddy. Once installed, you will need to configure the BIOS to boot from the SSD first, then of course reinstall the operating system.

2 Posts

September 22nd, 2017 09:00

Since there is only one hard drive power slot on the the motherboard, which cable splitter should be used which can connect to the HHD in the 3-1/2 inch bay and the SSD in the 2-1/2 inch bay, as the two bays are about a foot apart.  Just realized that a splitter cable can be used that would bridge the two drive bays;  This allows the power cable from the Hard Drive to be split into two; with one female end going into the original HHD (hard drive) and the other female end going into the SSD.  Just would like someone from Dell to confirm that this would work before buying the splitter cable and attempting the installation.

https://www.amazon.com/TENEXT-Female-Drive-Splitter-Power/dp/B008X1FE72/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1506097745&sr=1-2&keywords=12-inch+sata+15+pin+male+splitter

October 3rd, 2017 17:00

Hi. I'm the original poster. I have a big problem (kind of), and an answer will help the previous poster also.

I got my Dell, another SATA cable for the extra SSD, and this:

www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_5

However, this cable doesn't have a power (or data) plug coming off of the cable to connect to the DVD. So to use this, I would have no DVD drive. Can anyone direct me to a cable that would have this? Thank you very much.

No Events found!