Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 8th, 2017 16:00

Instructions for adding a second and/or third Western Digital SATA HD to my new Dell XPS 8910

This query is addressed to Dell.  The XPS 8910 service manual does instruct how to install additional SATA hard drives in the XPS 8910.  My system has a 250Gb SSD boot drive and a 2 TB HD.  I must install two additional WD SATA HDs or return this system.  This is feasible in any XPS 8700 PC.  One would assume the same for an advanced version, or a stern warning that adding aftermarket HDs is not supported.  I assume that is not the case.

Please provide instructions on installing additional SATA drives internally in my XPS 8910 ASAP so I do not have to return the product.  Is this a high end, state of the art PC or not?

Thank you Dell, for your prompt response.

GLC on Kolelemook

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

January 9th, 2017 17:00

This a user-to-user forum and is not a way to contact Dell Tech Support.

The specs say the 8910 can support three 3.5-inch HDD plus one SSD in the M.2 slot.

Instructions to install HDD are in the manual. Should be the same procedure for each separate HDD, installed in a separate drive bay and connected to a SATA port (SATA2, SATA3, SATA4) on the motherboard. Locations of the SATA ports are shown in the diagram on page 15 in the manual.

You can use any brand 3.5-inch SATA3 HDDs you want....

5 Posts

January 30th, 2017 17:00

There is NO instructions in the manual on how to install an additional hard drive, and for us a little tech savvy THERE IS NO data cable cable either.

I've had this unit for 3 weeks now and for $1752 I expected more ... I'm about to return this garbage back.

-R

5 Posts

January 30th, 2017 17:00

There is NO instructions in the manual on how to install an additional hard drive, and for us a little tech savvy THERE IS NO data cable cable either.

I've had this unit for 3 weeks now and for $1752 I expected more ... I'm about to return this garbage back.

-R

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

January 31st, 2017 09:00

It's exactly the same procedure as installing the primary hard drive, just in a different drive bay.

And extra SATA cables are not supplied with any PC. You can buy them for just a few dollars at PC shops or on line.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

January 31st, 2017 11:00

Do you need all 3 of them in that package, or only one?

Since I don't have an XPS 8910, I can't say if a right angle SATA cable will be easier/better than a simple straight one. Depends on where power cable connects to the new drive, where the drive is installed, and how easy it is to connect to the drive and to the SATA port on the motherboard.

18" is probably ok and you want a SATA III cable. Just make sure to route the cable out of the way so it doesn't get caught in any of the fans, or possibly touch the heat sink which may get hot, when you close the case.

Got a geeky friend to help you with this?

5 Posts

January 31st, 2017 11:00

Which type of SATA cable... specs??? This one from Amazon or something else?

Cable Matters (3 Pack) 90 Degree Right-Angle 6.0 Gbps SATA III Cable - 18 Inches

Cable Specifications

- Connector 1: 7-pin SATA Plug

- Connector 2: 7-pin SATA Plug

- Supports SATA revision III up to 6 Gbps

- Backwards compatible with SATA I, II ports

-R

5 Posts

January 31st, 2017 15:00

So, I decided to 'chat' with DELL customer service today to inquire about how to utilize this feature that they marketed when they sell  the XPS 8910 SE.

- Spend 48 minutes with chat first, then on phone hold  only to find out I was talking to sales people not technical.

- Another 15 minutes on phone only to find  out I was directed to a software person not hardware.

- Finally get redirected to a hardware technical person who after 20 minutes tell me I need a 6Gb/s cable but I need to call customer service during install to guide - FOR EXTRA $$ since I only have a basic warranty on this brand new computer.

- I asked the last guy then to email me his findings on the cable specs... NOPE he can't do that either.. I   need to call customer service to guide me through the install (for extra charge $$$)

So, basically DELL markets and sells a computer with features that you need to pay extra to utilize...  I think there is two words for that.. DECEPTIVE PRACTICES.  They market a feature, when selling you a product, and then deliberately omit any info how to use it unless you pay extra. PATHETIC is my opinion... DELL is NOT what it used to be ... anyone remember Gateway 2000 ... they'll follow the same fate.

-R

95 Posts

January 31st, 2017 22:00

When purchase a new hard drive there are basicly 2 types.  1-bare bones no sata cables. 2-these have a sata cable included.  The sata cables are only abou $2.00 at my local computer store.  I now do not add  any hard  drives to any machines i buy.  I instead use a 4 bay external hard drive enclosure and a 8 bay hard drive enclourse.  One for each machine.  The 4 bay can go up to 4 gig and the 8 bay up to 8 gig per drive.  Installing a sata drive in a newer computer is just putting the drive in a drive slot , hooking up a sata cable from drive to motherboard connector , and the power connector.  Nothing else needs to be done with the hardware install.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

February 1st, 2017 12:00

So, I decided to 'chat' with DELL customer service today to inquire about how to utilize this feature that they marketed when they sell  the XPS 8910 SE.

- Spend 48 minutes with chat first, then on phone hold  only to find out I was talking to sales people not technical.

- Another 15 minutes on phone only to find  out I was directed to a software person not hardware.

- Finally get redirected to a hardware technical person who after 20 minutes tell me I need a 6Gb/s cable but I need to call customer service during install to guide - FOR EXTRA $$ since I only have a basic warranty on this brand new computer.

- I asked the last guy then to email me his findings on the cable specs... NOPE he can't do that either.. I   need to call customer service to guide me through the install (for extra charge $$$)

So, basically DELL markets and sells a computer with features that you need to pay extra to utilize...  I think there is two words for that.. DECEPTIVE PRACTICES.  They market a feature, when selling you a product, and then deliberately omit any info how to use it unless you pay extra. PATHETIC is my opinion... DELL is NOT what it used to be ... anyone remember Gateway 2000 ... they'll follow the same fate.

-R

You're getting exactly what you ordered. No where in any of the sales docs does it say you'll get an extra SATA cable or anything else.  And the PC is fully functional the way it comes from the factory.

Additional hard drives and other upgrades are strictly user options, that are not included in your original purchase price, and Dell doesn't install or warranty any upgrades you make. 

The basic warranty is 1 year for hardware and first 30 days for any software that Dell installed. If you want a 3-year warranty, that's available from Dell as an option at extra cost (but software is still only 30 days).

The only spec you need to know is that it's a SATA III cable. There are no other essential specs for that cable. Straight connector or right-angle connector, length, color, etc are all just personal preferences.  And as was said above, you can buy SATA III cables for a couple of bucks at a PC shop or on line.

If this is beyond your capabilities, pay your local PC shop to install the additional hard drive for you and stop whining...

5 Posts

February 1st, 2017 13:00

>The only spec you need to know is that it's a SATA III cable. There are no other essential specs for that cable. Straight connector or right-angle connector, length, color, etc are all just personal preferences.  

Exactly, that's all I needed - specs: Is it a generic SATA cable or some DELL proprietary hardware with different set of pins? One line in the manual would have alleviated a lot of headache.

-R

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

February 1st, 2017 13:00

The very nature of the SATA spec is that everything is standardized. If a PC says it uses SATA drives, it's the same standardized cable for all of them, regardless of PC (or hard drive) brand.

Same for USB ports, PCI-e cards, etc., etc., etc.

If you'd done your homework, you'd have  known that and saved yourself the headaches...

3 Posts

February 1st, 2017 20:00

Thank you for your confirmation.  I have since added two additional HDD's to the empty drive bays in my 8910.  The SATA III cables must be right angle at the drive or the cover won't close.  The Cable Matters (3 Pack) 90 Degree Right-Angle 6.0 Gbps SATA III Cable - 18 Inches mentioned by ryiangou below would be suitable. I appreciate your input.

July 1st, 2017 19:00

Do you need brackets too or just a cable?

July 1st, 2017 20:00

also If I want to clone my ssd from the original hdd do I need another cable? Can I install the drive, then use the software included (samsung magician) to clone drive, then format original drive?

307 Posts

July 2nd, 2017 05:00

You need a SATA III cable to install the SSD and a 2.5" to 3.5" drive bay adapter. A right angle SATA cable is needed otherwise the side panel may not close. You can clone the SSD with Samsung software. It is called Samsung Data Migration. After cloning you will need to disconnect the HDD or used F12 to boot the system from the SSD since you will have two bootable drives. You will then need to re-initialize the HDD unless you want to use F12 every time to boot the system.

No Events found!