ryiangou
1 Copper

RE: Instructions for adding a second and/or third Western Digital SATA HD to my new Dell XPS 8910

Jump to solution

>The only spec you need to know is that it's a SATA III cable. There are no other essential specs for that cable. Straight connector or right-angle connector, length, color, etc are all just personal preferences.  

Exactly, that's all I needed - specs: Is it a generic SATA cable or some DELL proprietary hardware with different set of pins? One line in the manual would have alleviated a lot of headache.

-R

0 Kudos
RoHe
6 Indium

RE: Instructions for adding a second and/or third Western Digital SATA HD to my new Dell XPS 8910

Jump to solution

The very nature of the SATA spec is that everything is standardized. If a PC says it uses SATA drives, it's the same standardized cable for all of them, regardless of PC (or hard drive) brand.

Same for USB ports, PCI-e cards, etc., etc., etc.

If you'd done your homework, you'd have  known that and saved yourself the headaches...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
Kolelemook
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thank you for your confirmation.  I have since added two additional HDD's to the empty drive bays in my 8910.  The SATA III cables must be right angle at the drive or the cover won't close.  The Cable Matters (3 Pack) 90 Degree Right-Angle 6.0 Gbps SATA III Cable - 18 Inches mentioned by ryiangou below would be suitable. I appreciate your input.

0 Kudos
Phoenix 3377
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Do you need brackets too or just a cable?

0 Kudos
Phoenix 3377
1 Copper

Jump to solution

also If I want to clone my ssd from the original hdd do I need another cable? Can I install the drive, then use the software included (samsung magician) to clone drive, then format original drive?

0 Kudos
vtoy116
2 Iron

Jump to solution

You need a SATA III cable to install the SSD and a 2.5" to 3.5" drive bay adapter. A right angle SATA cable is needed otherwise the side panel may not close. You can clone the SSD with Samsung software. It is called Samsung Data Migration. After cloning you will need to disconnect the HDD or used F12 to boot the system from the SSD since you will have two bootable drives. You will then need to re-initialize the HDD unless you want to use F12 every time to boot the system.

0 Kudos