Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 26th, 2011 10:00

Intalling more memory in Dell Inspiron 530 desktop

I have a Dell Inspiron 530 desk top which came with 2GB of ram Installed. The two Gb are in the form of 2 x 1Gb modules one in each of the two banks of connectors. I have just ordered another 2 x 1Gb modules. Should I move the two original modules into one bank and put the one ones in the other bank or just insert the new modules in the vacant slots. Which will give best performance or does it not make any difference,

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 26th, 2011 11:00

DDR2 RAM should always be installed <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> in matched pairs. The 2 installed modules should have been installed in slots with the same color retention clips. The 2 new ones should be similarly installed into slots with matching clips.

In other words, leave the old ones in place and fill the 2 vacant slots with the new RAM.

Ron

1.5K Posts

August 26th, 2011 11:00

You should leave the two original ones where they are and put the new ones in the open slots as described here.  The new ones should go in slots 2 and 4 as a matched pair.  

Memory Installation Guidelines

Inspiron 530/530a/530c

DIMM connectors must be populated in numerical order beginning with connectors DIMM_1 and DIMM_3, then connectors DIMM_2 and DIMM_4.

If a single DIMM is installed, you must install it in connector DIMM_1.

1. Pair A: matched pair of memory modules in connectors DIMM_1 and DIMM_3

2. Pair B: matched pair of memory modules in connectors DIMM_2 and DIMM_4

2 Posts

August 26th, 2011 12:00

Thanks both - just what I needed to know

No Events found!