Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

November 15th, 2010 05:00

Integrated webcam problem with sleep mode

First off, sorry if this should be in the 'monitors' section - but I think the problem is in the PC, not the peripheral!

I'm finding that some, not all of the time, waking up from W7 sleep mode that my PC doesn't recognise the USB integrated webcam in my monitor, calling it 'unknown device'. To get it back I have to unplug then replug its USB cable or restart the computer. Is there any way to get it to wake up reliably? The hardware is

Dell Inspiron 560 ST ( Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E7500)
Dell SX2210 monitor

WIndows 7

thanks!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 15th, 2010 06:00

Many times these types of device problems are driver problems but there is no drivers listed for this monitor in the downloads.  Some systems have a USB power option but there is none in the 560S BIOS so that eliminates the USB power as a problem during standby. 

Where are you plugging in the USB cable for the webcam?  If you are not plugging directly into a rear USB port, try that and see if it makes a difference.

Unfortunately "Standby" mode has always had problems with some devices.  At one point, several years ago, it was even suggested not to use Standby because of the problems.  On my desktop, I only "power off" the monitor after 30 minutes, I do not power off or place the PC in "standby" mode. 

As everything else apparently works OK, e.g. the USB connected keyboard and mouse work OK after Standby it really goes back to the Webcam or the drivers for it.  Go to the Device Manager and display the Web Cam.  In the Driver Tab for the cam, check the "update driver" button and see if Windows finds a newer driver (be on line when you do this).

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 15th, 2010 08:00

Open the Device Manager (Press the Windows key and the Pause-Break key (Click the Hardware tab and the Device Manager button). Open Universal Serial Bus controllers
* For all USB Root Hubs, do this
* Right click each one, click Properties, click Power Management
* Remove the check from Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power
* Click OK
* Close the Device Manager

November 16th, 2010 15:00

Thank you for that - it seems to have fixed the problem. I wonder why all the self-styled techies I know didn't think of it! :-)

All the best

cw

November 18th, 2010 01:00

Actually the problem's come back! Or rather something has overridden me turning the power saving off on all the root hubs. I noticed when the webcam wasn't there after a wakeup again, and when I looked at the powersave settings, they had reverted. I haven't done any kind of rollback. Is there something that could be overriding my changes?

cw

November 22nd, 2010 05:00

I've since found a USB section in the Advanced part of the Dell powersaving profile. When i disabled it, it did turn off all the ticks in the Device manager described above, and they are staying off. Trouble is, the periodic webcam problem is still there. I *think* that when you re-plug it in, it comes back as 'USB composite device' rather than Monitor webcam (but still works). I was thinking, might there be something i the BIOS settings that might help?

No Events found!