Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 7th, 2009 18:00

Intel Matrix Storage Manager

How do I install Intel Matrix Storage Manager after upgrading to Windows 7 64bit.

Computer: Studio Desktop 540.

Single hard drive: Seagate 750GB

I would like to take advantage of NCQ, which is why I want to install the Intel Matrix Storage Manager.

The only options in BIOS are SATA and RAID, and SATA is currently selected.

22 Posts

December 8th, 2009 08:00

I downloaded the Intel Storage Matrix Driver from Dell; it did not come with an installation utility.  It's just a bunch of files and no setup.exe. 

I also downloaded the Intel Storage Matrix Application from Dell and tried installing it.  The installation aborted with the message: "System does not meet minimum requirements."

4.6K Posts

You can download it from the Studio 540 'Drivers & Downloads' page, which you'll find in the 'Support' section of the Dell website.

Alternatively however, you can get the very latest version directly off the Intel website... which you'll find by doing a quick Google for 'Intel Matrix Storage Manager' :emotion-55:

I'm feeling generous today though :emotion-2:

Main Studio 540 'Drivers & Downloads' for Windows 7 64bit.

In fairness to them, Dell are already offering a quite recent version of the Intel Matrix Storage Manager (dated 26th October 2009.  Found under 'SATA Drives' btw).

But here's the official Intel page for the Intel Matrix Storage Manager.

I don't know if it makes any/much difference, but you'd best make sure you get the version for the appropriate chipset, because you'll see from that page I've linked to on the Intel website there... the version Dell are offering is actually newer than the version on the Intel page :emotion-3:

22 Posts

I appreciate your help TheRealfirebrigade, but I don't think my question was clear.  The two files you pointed to from Dell are the very files I am trying to install.

The driver has no installation instructions and does not install itself.  I tried installing it through the Device Manager, but I didn't go very far because I don't want to mess up my system.

The application returns the following error message: "System does  not meet minimum requirements".

In BIOS only two settings are available: SATA, which is the current setting, and RAID, which generally cannot be selected without reinstalling the operating system.  I don't even want RAID, just AHCI.

February 17th, 2010 11:00

I have almost the same question.

I downloaded R130118, the drivers, and doubleclicking only extracts and places the files into C:\dell\Drivers\R130118 - nothing else.

I also downloaded R130119, the application.  I thought, perhaps, that if I executed this download that it would install the application and install the drivers, too.  However, I don't want to take any chances as I am already running fine on an XPS 400/9150 with Windows XP Media Center Edition.  My system drive(s) run mirrored RAID.

Has anyone been through this?

I have read the readme.txt file that comes with R130118 but I did not feel as though my understanding of the instructions was clear enough for me to take a chance on blowing up my system disc RAID array.

19 Posts

February 22nd, 2010 18:00

To install these files I believe that you have to go into "Device Manager" - "Storage Controllers" and highlight the chipset (i.e.=ICH9M/IM.......) and then right click and "Update Drivers". It's been awhile since I did it, but you might be able to search "Manual install/update of IMSM. I believe on the Intel website thay have changed the name to "Intel Rapid Recovery Technology".

In my bios I have "ATA, AHCI or IRRT" as the choices under "SATA OPERATIONS". I also have noticed that during boot up that my bios loads an older version of IMSM and how it is part of the bios I have no idea. I'm running a Dell M4400.

I wish Dell was more clear on the way to update/install IMSM/IRRT. If I change from "IRRT" in bios to "AHCI" I'll get a BSOD. I'm sure that you have probably done this, but I would  make sure bios is at latest version as Dell seems to have had a lot of bios releases lately.

Wish I could be more specific, but it has been awhile. I'm getting ready to get back into it because I have a new hard drive to install.

1 Message

April 9th, 2010 11:00

Is there someone who can give a more detailed description off how to install the r130118 (iastor.sys). I have a Dimension 9150, have some trouble with bluescreens. Suppose I hvae to update this driver but haven't got a vlue how too. The supporting installation file says there should be a .exe file but there isn't.

Don't want to restore the system. Takes hours to install everything back to normal.

6.4K Posts

April 9th, 2010 11:00

The file about which you seem to be complaining is the driver only file that is normally used with a Windows installation CD that does not have the SATA/AHCI driver integrated into it.  For Windows XP you would load the expanded files to a 3.5" diskette for use at the F6 prompt during setup.  For Vista and later versions you can save the files to a USB memory key.  If you want to use the R130118 file to update the driver already on your computer you will need to save this file to an appropriate folder on your hard drive, double click it to allow the self-extractor to operate, and note to what directory the files get extracted to.  For Dells, this directory would normally be C:\Dell\Drivers\R130118.  Once you know where the files are, you would use the feature in the Device Manager to update or change the driver for your SATA controller and point it to the directory containing the expanded files.

The Intel Matrix Storage Manager application is the utility normally used to manage a RAID, and it will not usually install unless the setup detects a compatible controller.  If you have your hard drive controller set to RAID Autodetect/ATA for compatibility with a PATA/IDE driver the storage manager setup will not recognize the controller and refuse to install.  You must have the controller set to RAID On or RAID Autodetect/AHCI in order for setup to detect the proper controller and proceed with the installation.

No Events found!