Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

November 22nd, 2017 08:00

Intel(R) MEI/TXEI driver intel management engine

Hello

some friends of mine informed me of this article on extremetech.com that informs us about intel patches major flaws in intel management engine.

Intel has acknowledged and patched a new suite of security problems affecting its Intel Management Engine. This subsystem controls many low-level capabilities of the SoC, and can be used for features like remote access and Intel’s Trusted Execution Engine. The company has released a list of 10 vulnerabilities across multiple products that are addressed by recent driver updates. Potentially affected systems include:

• 6th, 7th & 8th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor Family
  • Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1200 v5 & v6 Product Family
  • Intel® Xeon® Processor Scalable Family
  • Intel® Xeon® Processor W Family
  • Intel® Atom® C3000 Processor Family
  • Apollo Lake Intel® Atom Processor E3900 series
  • Apollo Lake Intel® Pentium™
  • Celeron™ N and J series Processors

That’s Intel’s entire product line dating back to the introduction of Skylake. According to Intel, attackers could impersonate the Intel Management Engine, Server Platform Services, and/or the Trusted Execution Engine, load and execute arbitrary code without the user or OS being aware of it, and destabilize or crash a system altogether.

Intel has released a detection tool so you can check to see if your system is affected by these issues. Updates will have to be issued by firmware vendors, however, so even if your system is impacted it may not receive a fix in the near future.

I checked my Optiplex 960 tower and this is what the tool told me:

Risk Assessment
Based on the analysis performed by this tool: Detection Error: This system may be vulnerable, please install the Intel(R) MEI/TXEI driver (available from your system manufacturer).

For more information refer to the SA-00086 Detection Tool Guide or the Intel security advisory Intel-SA-00086 at the following link: security-center.intel.com/advisory.aspx

INTEL-SA-00086 Detection Tool
Application Version: 1.0.0.128
Scan date: 11/22/2017 11:32:17 AM

Host Computer Information
Name: JEMY2-PC
Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Model: OptiPlex 960
Processor Name: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional

Intel(R) ME Information
Engine: Intel(R) Management Engine
Version: Unknown
SVN: 0

Copyright(C) 2017, Intel Corporation, All rights reserved

It is telling me to get the vendor update.  I have more than 1 of these 960s where would i find this vendor update to the intel management engine that it is talking about ?

Thanks for your time in advance.

31 Posts

November 22nd, 2017 10:00

Would be nice to find this Driver for the PE 2900 Servers as well.

More Info from Dell

307 Posts

November 22nd, 2017 11:00

Not sure if the Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 is affected.; it is not one of the products listed by Intel. A list of Dell systems potentially getting updates is here: www.dell.com/.../dell-client-statement-on-intel-me-txe-advisory--intel-sa-00086- ; the OptiPlex 960 is not on the list.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 22nd, 2017 11:00

Dell hasn't released new chipset drivers or a new version of BIOS for the Optiplex 960 since 2014.

www.dell.com/.../drivers

Don't know if that means the 960 isn't affected by those Intel issues or if Dell decided not to update this model because they don't support it beyond Win 7.

95 Posts

November 22nd, 2017 12:00

If you read the  article it is about intel releasing the data this month not 1 or  2 years ago.  This seems to be a bigger thing than the other.  All the articles are dated around  11/21/2017 this would seem to indicate something else.  How could dell patch something that intel is just admiting to and supplying info on ?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 23rd, 2017 11:00

No Events found!