Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 6th, 2014 21:00

Intel Rapid Storage Tech 9.6- Can't for the life of me get it to rebuild to a new larger drive

I've spent over a 40 hours on this. I need to increase the size of my raid 1 array. I bought WD 1TB drives. I first rebuilt the system on the new drives following the Intel instructions on increasing the array size using the old Intel Matrix storage 8.5 but had windows errors--  loss of desktop search, windows update wouldn't work etc. I found out that had to do with my new drives being Advanced format drives. I applied the necessary hot fixes to my old smaller array and downloaded the newest raid control software, Intel Rapid Storage. 9.6. Then I tried the rebuild again.....this time...

No matter what I do, Intel RST won't rebuild from the old drive to the new one. After many attempts, it rebuilds just fine btw the two older drives, but when I swap one of those with the new larger WD drive, I just get an error: ("An unknown error occurred while an operation was in progress the operation could not be completed") 

PLEASE HELP!!!

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

April 7th, 2014 12:00

You cannot put a drive in and rebuild.  It must be at least formatted and the same Drive aka you cant swap a DRIVE 0 into the Drive 1 slot.

So What you have to do is install 2 Larger Drives from scratch
 Then reformat them.

Then Shut down.

Then put the larger 2nd drive in for mirroring.

Then Rebuild

Then Put the Drive0 in and Rebuild.

Rebuilding will not Partition and Initialize a blank drive.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

April 7th, 2014 09:00

RST lower than 10.1 or so does not support larger drives.

Newer versions of RST 10.x 11.x 12.x drop support for older

INTEL Chipsets aka ICH5,ICH6,ICH7,ICH8

Intel® Matrix Storage Manager 8.9.0.1023
The files below contain the Intel® Matrix Storage Manager. This record also includes downloadable F6 floppy configuration utilities (32-bit and 64-bit).

Operating Systems:
Windows Server 2003 *, Windows 7 *, Windows Vista *, Windows XP *

This driver provides support for high-capacity & fault-tolerant Serial ATA (SATA) RAID 5 arrays and high-performance & fault-tolerant SATA RAID 10 arrays on select Intel® 5 Series, 4 Series, 3 Series, 965, 975X, 955X and 945 chipset-based platforms. It provides support for high-performance SATA RAID 0 arrays & redundant SATA RAID 1 arrays on select Intel® 5 Series, 4 Series, 3 Series, 965, 975X, 955X, 945, 925, 915 chipset-based platforms. It also provides AHCI support on select Intel® 5 Series, 4 Series, 3 Series, 965, 975X, 955X, 945, 925 and 915 chipset-based platforms, as well as on Mobile Intel® 915/910 chipset-based platforms.

Note: Intel® RAID Technology requires the Intel® ICH9R/ICH9M-E/ICH10R/PCH/PCHM SATA RAID controller hub, Intel® 82801HR I/O controller hub (ICH8R), Intel® 631xESB/632xESB I/O controller hub, Intel® 82801GR/GH I/O controller hub (ICH7R/DH), Intel® 82801FR I/O controller hub (ICH6R).

Windows 7 should also be installed with RAID Autodetect / ATA then the microsoft PATCH applied then INTEL RST drivers. Error message when you start a Windows 7 or Windows Vista-based computer after you change the SATA mode of the boot drive: "STOP 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976/en-us?p=1

5 Posts

PS- I have a Dell Studio 435T running Vista 64. It has the Intel Series 5 chips/X58 with ICH10R controller.

5 Posts

I hear you but, it worked just fine with Intel Matrix storage 8.5. You pull a drive out as if it failed put the new bigger one in, let it rebuild to it, turn off, put other new one in, rebuild to that one, then increase the partition size.It worked perfectly from a physical standpoint, it was just that windows errors occurred from the resize. Those errors were a known windows issue that had hot fixes, which I applied to the original set of smaller drives including updating to the  newer RST which was said to correct those windows errors.

In fact there are instructions on Intel's website to do it the way I'm trying for the newer versions of RST.

Link to instructions:

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-030751.htm

5 Posts

Thank you for the response Speedstep.

In the interim before I got your response I actually updated the RST again to version 11.0.0.1032. I still CAN rebuild the array between the older 500Gb samsung drives but when I try and change out one of the drives to the WD 1TB to begin the Raid capacity increase I keep getting the RST message: "An unknown error occurred while an operation was in progress the operation could not be completed" when I select rebuild array to new drive.

5 Posts

April 10th, 2014 06:00

SpeedStep,

Your fix worked great. Not sure why Intel has the instructions they do, because they don't work. I shut down the computer, installed the 2 new blank drives, then created a Raid 1 from with the firmware bios (only offered 1 or 0, more about that below). I then shut the computer down replaced one of the new drives with my older operating system drive and was able to mirror over to the new drive through the RST console in windows. Then removed the old drive and finished the capacity expansion by installing the other new drive and mirroring over to that.

That said, why doesn't the RST console 11.0.0.1032 nor the Matrix Storage bios firmware 8.6 allow any other raid options? The studio 435T has enough power cables and sata connections for at least 1 more drive, (for which I installed a 3rd new drive since before completing the mirror) though when I chose to change the Raid option, it only offers 0 (as I am running Raid 1). RST panel is able, the controller chipset I have, ICH10R allows it...... I'm guessing it might have something to do with the older bio firmware on the controller, which I don't think I can update as I haven't found any dell motherboard specific firmware updates. Any thoughts? Thank you...

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

April 10th, 2014 08:00

Can't answer for INTEL no idea.

The Format/Rebuild dance is based on bad experience.

Its the same Drill for Raid0 thru Raid 5 and up. Had many techs tell me the only way to rebuild a raid acting that way was to start over and lose everything.  My response to this was to tell the tech to take the bad drive and leave the new drive and get the .... out of my data center and never come back.   Now when drives fail I have them come pick up the bad ones and I fix it myself.

No Events found!