Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 17th, 2016 14:00

Intel USB 3.0 Driver & Intel Mgmt Engine Driver

Model  XPS 8900

Win7 Pro, SP1

When I load Chipset drivers for Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver Ver 4.0.4.51, A02 and Intel Management Engine Interface Driver Ver 11.0.0.1167, A02 my mouse wheel stops working. I've tried 3 different mice, Microsoft, Logitech and Dell. Problem occurs on all three units.

When I go back to the previous recovery point, problem goes away. Tried installing twice and problem persisted until I backed out the installs.

Losing faith in recommended Dell updates.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 17th, 2016 20:00

Do you have the latest version of the Intel 100 Series Chipset Driver to go along with the updated ME and USB3 drivers?

If not, install the chipset first, reboot and test the rodents. Assuming they still work correctly, update the other 2 drivers, one at a time, rebooting in between each install, and testing the mouse wheel. If nothing else, you might figure out which driver is the offender.  

Make sure you still have a suitable System Restore point before updating anything. :emotion-5:

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

September 18th, 2016 09:00

The Intel Management Engine Components Installer has just been updated.  Perhaps it should also be looked at.

But I agree, the USB 3.0 drivers need the 2.0 drivers to work.  It appears you only have one USB controller on that system and it appears to be Intel, so as Ron mentions the Intel chipset drivers are involved.

Not sure what the Management engine driver would have with the USB.

The System bios was updated in April of this year, version 2.1.3

September 18th, 2016 12:00

cc: RoHe

Saltgrass,

You and RoHe both have some interesting insights. I will try installing each new driver, one at a time and see which one shoots down my scroll wheel. If a system recovery is involved to back out the install, the process will take about an hour so I'll pick a time in the next few days.

Bill

September 18th, 2016 12:00

Saltgrass,

You and RoHe both have some interesting insights. I will try installing each new driver, one at a time and see which one shoots down my scroll wheel. If a system recovery is involved to back out the install, the process will take about an hour so I'll pick a time in the next few days.

Bill

September 25th, 2016 13:00

Yes, the problem is the USB 3.0 driver. The Support Assistant tells me I need the USB 3.0 driver Ver 4.0.4.51 A02 but when it's installed my mouse wheel stops working. My service tag is ??????. If I don't have USB 3.0, why does Dell want me to install the new driver that disables my mouse wheel?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 25th, 2016 18:00

Cockpit error

I didn't know a stagecoach had a cockpit.  :emotion-3:

So I take it the USB3 driver is installed and the mouse wheel works again now that you moved it to a USB2 port. 

Must be something odd about that USB3 driver (or the mouse software) because USB3 supposed to be fully backward compatible with USB2.

If your problem is fixed, please make this thread as "answered".

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

Please remove your Service Tag. Never post the Service Tag in an open forum like this. Treat it as confidential info only to be shared with Dell employees.

You have USB3 standard on the XPS 8900. There are 4 USB3 ports on the rear (at #6) and 2 USB2 ports (at #3). Do you have your USB2 mouse connected to a USB3 port on the rear of the PC? Connect mouse and keyboard to the USB2 ports and then install the USB3 driver again.

That is the problem. The USB port was labeled "SS..." and I moved it to a USB port without the "SS..." label. Cockpit error. :/

Thanks,

Bill

In a former life I logged several thousand hours in a Navy P3 (cockpit ...). The StageCoachDriver reference refers to my last employer - actually I was the worlds oldest Java developer when I retired.

I will determine if this is the fix by yet again by installing the USB 3.0 update again. So much for forward/backward compatibility.

Bill

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 26th, 2016 12:00

Thanks for your service! Wonder if you ever buzzed my house because I live directly across the freeway from a naval air station...

I can't guarantee the wheel will work when the mouse is connected to a USB2 port  and the USB3 driver is installed.

You might consider going to the Intel download site and letting their scanner examine your hardware and recommend drivers. Maybe there's a newer version that fixes the bug affecting your mouse wheel. Though, I don't remember anyone else reporting this problem so you are unique...

Post back and let us know what happens.

September 26th, 2016 13:00

Intel stated all drivers are current and up to date, so I'll go with that. Thanks for pointing me to the Intel site - didn't know it existed. I think the bug was introduced by Dell.

NAS Moffett.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 26th, 2016 16:00

NAS Moffett.

So that was you...!  :emotion-3:

No Events found!