Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 18th, 2011 12:00

Intermittent Popping & Cracking

Hello,

I have had this problem since I got my Studio XPS 7100.  The audio intermittently makes a popping and cracking sound.

- There is no event that seems to trigger it

- It only lasts for about 5 seconds at a time

- It is intermittent

- 2 different speaker systems have had identical results

Any thoughts??

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 21st, 2011 17:00

There are many threads on the Windows 7 forum about this, from all brands, HP, Acer, Sony, Gateway, home built systems with commercial motherboards, both desktops and laptos, etc.

As I previously noted, sound drivers are one issue.  Video drivers are another.  Wi-Fi cards and connections, cell phones and wireless phones near the PC, etc.  The PCI latency is one issue but not all motherboards/BIOS have an option to change this - it's mostly in the commercial motherboards not the ones from PC companies such as Dell.

One other thing to try, go to the Device Manager, RIGHT click on the entry for the RealTek audio, then LEFT click "uninstall".  DO NOT uninstall the drivers.  Then restart the PC and when Windows starts it will detect and reinstall the sound.  This, sometimes, puts the sound on a different shared IRQ and helps with sound problems.  Sound is considered a low priority device on a PC and is usually assigned a shared IRQ with some higher priority device.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 18th, 2011 14:00

A lot of possibilities.  There are posts all over the internet with this problem with all makes/models of PC's. 

Audio drivers are one issue.  Video drivers are another.  PCI latency is another.  Wi fi can cause this, etc.  No "one fix".  You have to take it one thing at a time and see if fixes it. 

The PCI latency, can affect HDMI audio via the Video card.  The latency should be set to 32 or 64, if it's available in the BIOS (Setup).

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 18th, 2011 16:00

The audio is actually Realtek integrated audio with the THX software enhancement.  This misleads a lot of people.

January 18th, 2011 16:00

Thanks for your input.

The audio driver & video driver have been updated.  I'll look into the PCI latency to see what I can figure out.  It would be strange since I don't have any PCI slots populated.  My video & audio are both integrated.  The audio is a Dolby THX 7.1 so it is a shame to have such lousy audio.

January 21st, 2011 15:00

I have updated the audio & video drivers with no luck.

Can't find the PCI latency setting in the bios.

Any thoughts?

Dell Studio XPS 7100

AMD Athlon II X4 630 Processor

February 23rd, 2011 11:00

Thanks for the help!

I detached the driver and then rebooted.  Haven't had the problem since.

No Events found!