570thrasher
1 Nickel

Intermittent loss of internet connection

I have been having problems with losing internet connection anywhere from 1 to 10 min. at a time. Programs stop responding. Anyone know what the problem might be?

0 Kudos
11 Replies

Re: Intermittent loss of internet connection

Hi 570thrasher,

Please share the exact system model. Is your system freezing? I will recommend you to run the diagnostics on your system to check the hardware functionality:

• Restart your system and keep tapping 'F12' as soon as the Dell logo appears.
  • Highlight 'Diagnostics' using up/down arrow keys and press enter.

Please let me know if you get any error code/message.

In case the diagnostics pass, check the system's functionality in 'Safe mode with Networking':

• Restart the system and keep tapping 'F8' as soon as the Dell logo appears.
  • Highlight 'Safe Mode with Networking' using arrow keys and press enter.

Keep me posted. Please reply for any further questions.

Thanks and Regards,
Vikram M
#iworkfordell
To know more about Dell’s products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to 
http://dell.to/YBlak6

0 Kudos
570thrasher
1 Nickel

Any program I am on:

(Not Responding)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
570thrasher
1 Nickel

Dimension E521

Already ran diagnostics. No problems showed up.

0 Kudos

Hi 570thrasher,

Thank you for the reply. Please check your system's functionality in Safe mode with networking and share the results. In case you face the same issue in safe mode with networking, try using your system without the Internet access and let me know if you face the same issue.

Awaiting your response.

Thanks and Regards,
Vikram M
#iworkfordell
To know more about Dell’s products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to 

0 Kudos
570thrasher
1 Nickel

Still having the problems in Safe mode. I also have since replaced the modem, but still had the same problem.

0 Kudos
570thrasher
1 Nickel

Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
570thrasher
1 Nickel

Programs not responding

I have been having problems with losing internet connection anywhere from 1 to 10 min. at a time. Programs stop responding. Anyone know what the problem might be?

0 Kudos

Hi 570thrasher,

Since you mentioned that the diagnostics passed on your system and also all the programs are not responding, it appears to be an issue with the operating system, but not the internet. I will recommend you to take your system back to its factory state:

Note: All your data including your pictures, documents, music and all the applications installed on your system will be deleted.

• Restart your system. Press and hold “Ctrl” key on the keyboard and keep tapping “F11” key.
  • The restore process normally takes from 6 to 10 minutes depending on how large the image is. Click on ‘Restore’in the screen below to start a simulation of the restore operation.

• Click on ‘Confirm’.

• Click on “Finish”.

• Click on “Yes”.

• Read the “Dell End User Software License Agreement” and press any key to continue.

• Follow the on screen instructions to complete the factory restore.

Keep me posted. Please reply for any questions.

Thanks and Regards,
Vikram M
#iworkfordell

0 Kudos
570thrasher
1 Nickel

ctrl/f11 did nothing. I can't enter restore

0 Kudos