If your system was shipped with Windows Vista, try the below steps to take the system back to its factory settings:
Note: PC restore will lead to data (pictures, documents, programs, music) loss. Please perform a data backup prior to this step. Please disconnect any external peripherals (printer, scanner or any USB device) as well.
Steps for PC restore:
• Remove all external peripherals from your system such as scanner, printer, modem or network cables, USB flash driver or other external Hard Drive etc.
• Insert the Windows XP CD in your system.
• Restart your system and keep tapping “F12” as soon as the Dell logo appears.
• When the ‘Boot Menu’ appears, highlight the CD/DVD drive (listed as "CDROM", "CD/DVD" or "CD/DVD/CD-RW") entry from the list and press <Enter>.
• If the message ‘Press any key to boot from the CD...’ appears, press a key to continue booting to the CD.
• In the windows XP setup screen, press <Enter> to set up Windows XP.
• In the ‘Windows XP Licensing Agreement’, read the license agreement, and then press <Page Down> to scroll through the agreement.
Note: It will ask you to press 'D' and a few other characters such as 'enter' or 'L' to delete the partitions.
Note: If you see the message ‘Press any key to boot from the CD’ when the computer restarts, do not press any keys on the keyboard.
Thanks and Regards,
To know more about Dell’s products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/YBlak6