Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 20th, 2015 22:00

Internal Speakers don't work after Dell Precision T3400 PC upgraded to Windows 8.1 64 bit

Hello, I have Dell Precision T3400 and I upgraded it to windows 8.1.
Everything works fine except that my internal speakers do not seem to give me any sound. I did the dell hardware test and it passed everything. Then I upgraded my drivers from Dell's website the mute sign from the volume at the bottom right corner has gone away and the level of the signal in "Playback Devices" is changing as well. What could be the problem?

October 21st, 2015 07:00

Hi, 

How about from earphones??

Did you hear any beeps during diagnostics??

Regards

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

October 21st, 2015 07:00

The business speaker does not work because the Soundmax Audio ESP driver is not installed.

You have to install the OEM Audio driver for this to work again.

You also have to download and install the directx june 2010

patch.  Extract to a folder and run dxsetup.exe.

You have to install Legacy Direct play and DX9 and DX10 drivers from the Directx June 2010 patch.

You download the file and extract to a folder then run DXSETUP.EXE as administrator.

Before previous drivers will work in windows 8 or 10 you have to enable legacy features like DOTNET 2.0 3.5  and Directshow.  You must then install DIRECTX JUNE 2010 DRIVERS by downloading the file and extracting into a folder and running DXSETUP.exe.

Directx June 2010 which you download and extract to a FOLDER then run DXsetup.exe as administrator.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

in control panel, all control panel items,  programs and features, Turn windows features on and off.  You have to be ONLINE when you do this because it will insist on downloading from the internet.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh506443%28v=vs.110%29.aspx

Enable dotnet 2.0 3.5 enable legacy directshow.

Install Directx June 2010 Patch.

Legacy audio APIs such as DirectSound, DirectShow, and the waveOutXxx functions enable applications to get and set the volume levels of audio streams.

Windows Media Source Filter. This behavior was maintained to ensure backward compatibility with applications that used the Windows Media Player 6.4. New applications should use the newer versions of QASF, which make the WM ASF Reader filter the default filter for playing ASF files.

For more information on the Windows Media suite of software development kits, see the Audio and Video section of the MDSN Library.

This driver is the same for T3400 or T3500

You have to install the OEM Driver.

Description Supported OS Download
Analog Devices ADI 198x Integrated High Definition Audio Driver
This package provides the Analog Devices ADI 198x Integrated High Definition Audio Driver and is supported on Precision and OptiPlex that are running the following Windows Operating System: Windows 7.More details
Windows 7 32-bit
Analog Devices ADI 198x Integrated HD Audio Driver
This package provides the Analog Devices ADI 198x Integrated HD Audio Driver and is supported on the OptiPlex, Precision and Latitude models that are running the following Windows Operating System: Windows 7.More details
Windows 7 64-bit

6 Posts

October 21st, 2015 09:00

Earphones work fine. Mic works fine too.

Didn't get any beep during diagnostics.

6 Posts

I tried your steps.

1. First I installed .NET 2.0 and 3.5.

2. Downloaded and installed DirectX June 2010 patch.

3. Downloaded and installed Windows 7 64-bit OEM drivers.

4. Restarted the PC. 

Still doesn't work. Am I doing something wrong? Shouldn't I be downloading and installing the drivers provided from DELL's website when I input my Express Code?

6 Posts

Earphones work fine. Mic works fine too.

No beep during diagnostics.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

October 21st, 2015 10:00

You should now see Audio ESP in control panel. Unless you are trying to skip steps.  The internal business speaker is an option not a guarantee.

The OEM Driver is for windows 7 and it does not register without dotnet and directx being installed BEFORE the Dell Driver.  The AD198x driver is not the same as  the generic Driver built into windows.

The business speaker does not work if its not installed.All such drivers must be installed as administrator.  Downloading the june 2010 patch requires you to extract to a folder and run DXSETUP.exe from that folder.

The other issue is the jumper on the front panel for external audio card.

The 3rd issue is whether or not audio is enabled in bios.

The Dell JY058 Control Panel w/ Cable Precision T3400 (MW724) Audio Jumper TM472 and Cable JN454.  TM472 must be in the control panel if there is no cable and Audio card in the slots.

6 Posts

October 21st, 2015 21:00

I see "SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio" in the "Sound, video and game controllers" section in "Device Manager"

I checked the BIOS setup and changed audio settings from "AUTO" to "ON"

I checked the jumpers they were intact.

Can you give me a step by step procedure? Maybe I'm not doing the installation of stuff like you said. Though I checked my DirectX filters all of them are enabled.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

October 22nd, 2015 12:00

The internal speaker looks like this.  Do you even have one?

If you do you have to go into the mixer section and turn all volume controls to 100 percent because its not very loud and its not amplified.

You had to be ONLINE in order to enable the DOTNET features and Directshow.  You had to be ADMINISTRATOR and download directx june 2010 and then extract the file to a folder and then RUN DXSETUP.EXE.

Analog Devices ADI 198x Integrated HD Audio, v.6.10.2.7250, A08

downloads.dell.com/.../R228257.exe

R228257.EXE

Systems

OptiPlex 360

OptiPlex 760

OptiPlex 960

Precision R5400

Precision T3400

Precision T3500

Precision T5500

Precision T7500