Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 28th, 2012 03:00

Internal card reader connection to Dell 9100 problem

Dear all,

just purchased an internal card reader for my Dell 9100 (Akasa AK-ICR-07) and I realised that the flexbay on the motherboard is a 10 pins (2 rows of 5) while the card reader head is 9 pins with a missing key. Result: I can not connect the card reader to the motherboard.

the question is: is there any chance I can resolve this with out purchasing an external card reader? Also when you buy an nternal card reader is never said if the head is a 9 or 10 pins in specs.

Thanks in advance for all the support I will receive.

Nicola

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 28th, 2012 05:00

Hi Nicola,

I assume this is a Dimension 9100? The motherboard connector for the Dell media card reader is a flex-bay USB connector. That's the only connection available. My suggestion would be to call Dell and purchase a Dell media card reader.

2 Posts

April 29th, 2012 14:00

Thanks for your quick answer,

Yes, it is a Dimension 9100.

The weird thing is that in the instruction there is a reference to the USB connector on the motherboard, it is only that on the motherboard the head is 10pins while the cable is 9pins.

Do you know if there is a way to connect the two heads with, for example, an adaptor cable.

otherwise I will opt for the dell reader, I checked the Dell web site and it looks like the cheapest is 23£.

thanks in advance.

Nicola

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 29th, 2012 16:00

Rather than try to make an "internal" card reader work, just get an external USB connected unit and avoid all the headaches.  The external reader is probably half th cost of the Dell, and there is no guarantee an "aftermarket" Dell will fit either.  Dell tended to do a lot of proprietary things in the 9100's day.  I have a Dimension E510, which is also a BTX style like the 9100 and from the same era.

No Events found!