stanatkinson
1 Copper

Internet

I have an XPS 8300 running Windows 7 Home Premium.  Whenever I start It doesn't recognize my internet (or even my home network) connection for a long time.  Shows a blue circle in the task bar where the network should be.  I thought it was my router so I upgraded to the latest Comcast modem/router.  That didn't help.  Where else should I look?

0 Kudos
5 Replies

RE: Internet

Hi, 

Thanks for writing to us. 

As you mentioned it takes a long time to search for the network, so does it connect eventually or do you have to connect manually ??

Please try updating the network drivers. Do PM us the system tag# by clicking on my name in blue and then select send a private message . 

When did the issue start? You can try doing a system restore meanwhile. 

Await your response.

Regards

DELL-Hemalatha P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
Dell Support Videos 
Drivers and Downloads

0 Kudos
stanatkinson
1 Copper

It does eventually connect, but slowly.  I tried updating drivers.  Windows says the best drivers are already installed. I searched for drivers on Dell.com and downloaded the recommended.  When I ran setup I got a warning that I was trying to install drivers that are older than those already installed so I cancelled.  I don't remember exactly when the problem started but it's been several months. 

I tried to clean out some junk that was running.  Turned off the Mcafee program that checks websites while I browse.   I tried turning off the firewall at one point but it didn't seem to help so I turned it back on.  I finally replaced the modem/router last week.

I'm not sure I want to reload the operating system at this point.

0 Kudos
RoHe
6 Thallium

WiFI or Ethernet problem?

Open Device Manager and look for the entry for your network card. Double-click that entry and click its Power Management tab. Make sure the box "Allow PC to turn off..." is Unchecked.

Then open your Windows Power options screen, and open the plan that's active to change settings.  Click Advanced Options. Look for options related to (WiFi) network connections and set them to max performance. Be sure to save the change to your Power plan before leaving that screen.

Reboot and see if that helps.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos

Hi please try the steps as suggested by our Community rock stars, if still the same then consider reinstalling windows

DELL-Hemalatha P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
Dell Support Videos 
Drivers and Downloads

0 Kudos

Hi,
How is it going on with the machine. We haven't heard from you yet.

DELL-Hemalatha P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
Dell Support Videos 
Drivers and Downloads

0 Kudos