Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 15th, 2010 18:00

Is AHCI worth it? XPS410 / 9200 running two non-raid drives - XP reload

My Dimension 9200 shipped in 2007 with a single hard drive running under RAID as a non-RAID drive, presumably with AHCI enabled.

BIOS options are only RAID AUTODETECT/ATA (which picks up drives with RAID metadata already in place) or RAID.  The AHCI option is not present for the 9200.

I have uninstalled my original drive, set the BIOS to RAID AUTODETECT/ATA to get rid of the RAID, formatted a new Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB drive installed in the SATA-0 port and reloaded Win XP SP2, upgraded to SP3, and flashed the bios and reloaded all drivers recommended by Dell (except for the SATA drivers, which won't load  because I'm pretty sure they are intended to be installed from a floppy drive using F6 during XP reload - in any case I don't think I need them). 

Everything works fine, and I intend to wipe the old drive using Darik's Boot and Nuke, then reinstall it as a second drive.

However, I found an entry on the forums saying "the AHCI drivers need the bios to be set to RAID ON", so presumably I am now running without the queueing benefits of AHCI. 

My question is:  is AHCI of any benefit to a single-computer setup?  Are the benefits significant?  If so I will reinstall the drives as non-RAID drives under the controller set to RAID ON, though this will be a real hassle in terms of getting the drivers loaded, according to previous forum posts. 

Advice really appreciated, since I'm a non-tech person, and don't really understand this fully.

• Dell XPS410/Dimension 9200, XP Pro SP2 as loaded
  • Intel P965 Express chipset ICH8DH (now known as Intel 828101HH I/O controller hub - according to Intel's chipset identification utility.  Old Microsoft drivers dated 1.07.2001 v 5.1.2535.0
  • SATA-0: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB drive WD1002FAEX w jumper on pins 5-6 to throttle data transfer from 6Gb/s to 3Gb/s to match chipset capacity
  • Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 processor
  • 4 x 1GB NECC Dual Channel DDR2 800MHz SDRAM Memory
  • 2.13 GHz, $MB L2 Cache, 1066 MHz FSB
  • NVidea GEForce 7900GS graphics card
  • Integrated Gigabit ethernet
  • Integrated Sigmatel audio
  • Dell keyboard and mouse
  • Dell monitor 2007 WFP

6.4K Posts

June 15th, 2010 21:00

Annie, try this one:  Single Drive AHCI Performance.

My take on this is that the test showed mixed results, but there could be as much as ~12% improvement using AHCI instead of the standard IDE/ATA controller.  In my opinion, this is not enough to worry about.  Benchmarks are great but gains so slight are not usually noticed when you're working with your data files.  Others may have different opinions, but in the end only you can decide if the difference is worth the effort.

40 Posts

June 22nd, 2010 01:00

Hi,

I'm an XPS 410 owner. I have windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit installed and first I installed my new OS with RAID Auto detect just as you onto an upgraded western digital caviar black 1 TB HDD just as you also. I also maxed out my memory to four gig's, upgraded my CPU to a Q7600 core 2 quad, and put an ATI 5770 graphics card in my system to try and make my 410 a substantial gaming system and it is also the main component in my living room home theater system. ( not bragging, just thought I could explain where I've been with the 410) Basically, I maxed the whole system out. I too inquired about enabling the AHCI Controller. Wondering if I could get more speed than I have. As our systems and our questions are much alike with the exceptions being the OS and some hardware I thought maybe I could help you decide . I got in the many different forums including this one and asked the same questions and I didn't really get any solid answers to help me decide yes, it is more stable and faster or no, it's not really worth it, just leave it in IDE mode. Then a previous XPS 410 owner gave me an answer in an outside forum ( not dell forum) an said he experienced a noticeable difference in system stability and performance. So, I decided to take his advice and do a reinstall of the OS with the "RAID ON", ( don't know why Dell didn't just put an AHCI selection in the menu right?). The nice thing about windows 7 is that if you have RAID enabled in your BIOS, it automatically finds the RAID drivers no matter what your chipset is while it is installing. In XP, you do have to press F6 but you can install from just about any type of media. (USB flash drive, CD/DVD, or floppy) just get it from Dell and put it on whatever you want.

Results:

I didn't do an official benchmark of my HDD speed and i'm sure it wouldn't produce a huge difference under normal use but It was a "noticeable to the eye" difference in stability and speed under a heavy load like playing a really advanced game like Modern Warfare or Crysis 2 in HD on maximum settings, which is about as heavy of a load as it gets. Secondly, I do ALOT of video editing for my church's website, and it has taken the place of my cable TV set top box via TV tuner and windows Media Center to record movies and shows, stop, pause, rewind, and such. It is also the music and media library for my entire house, streaming over a network. That is where the speed of the AHCI controller is noticeable. As far as surfing the web, watching a youtube video, or creating a power point, document, spreadsheet, etc.(just using it as a normal computer)  I didn't have much of, (if at all) a gain in speed.  

My Take:

If you are a mild to heavy GAMER, use your PC to do allot of video editing, use it in conjunction with allot of media, or if you run allot of applications like in an office environment, or you just want to be able to do any of these things with your XPS 410 then you should absolutely enable the AHCI controller. But if you just use you PC to surf the web, shop, watch youtube videos, check email, listen to music, save your digital photos from your camera, talk to friends on those websites,  then you will NEVER see any difference in performance on your system and in my opinion, it is not necessary to enable AHCI.

Hope this was helpful!

14.4K Posts

June 15th, 2010 19:00

There is some performance boost with AHCI enabled. Hence the Advanced part of the host controller.Mostly thought it is to allow for the setting up of Raid configurations..

In order for you to enable it you will need to set your Sata mode to Raid on and then load the SATA driver at the F6 prompt or have them slipstreamed into the install disk.

13 Posts

Thanks Dave - appreciate your answer.

In your experience, is the performance boost noticeable? 

The computer isn't used for gaming or video editing.  Photo editing using PS Elements is about as exciting as it gets.

14.4K Posts

HERE is and article with some good info to help you decide.

13 Posts

June 15th, 2010 21:00

Thanks Dave - the link doesn't work though.

13 Posts

June 15th, 2010 22:00

Thanks to both of you for your help - I suspect you're right, and the gain in performance may not be substantial enough to justify reinstalling.

Thanks!

13 Posts

June 20th, 2010 21:00

Further info in case someone else is interested in the same question:

I installed the Western Digital Caviar Black drive running as SATA-2 ok, ran checkdisk to clean up some bad sectors, and then ran HD Tune, got the following results:

Transfer rate 52-136 MB/s

Mean transfer rate 105.3 MB/s

Burst rate 151.4 MB/s

CPU Usage 2.9%

(The drive specs say the drive is capable of sustained host-to-drive rate of 126MB/s, so the results above look pretty satisfactory.)

The old Samsung drive originally installed on the Dell 9200, running as a single SATA-1 disk under the RAID controller to take advantage of AHCI got these results:

Transfer rate 37-75 MB/s

Mean transfer rate 61.8 MB/s

Burst rate 119.7 MB/s

CPU usage 7%.

I know this isn't a direct comparision of AHCI vs no AHCI, but the figures do indicate that using the non-RAID controller results in very satisfactory drive performance.

13 Posts

June 22nd, 2010 02:00

Thanks for tthe detailed info, it's a nice setup you've got there.  Mine isn't a gaming setup, as you can tell from the specs - Eve Online is about as far as I get with gaming.  It's interesting the results you had with the system, and the difference you noticed.

I have now got some benchmark figures from HD Tune for a direct comparison using the same drive on the same computer setup, the only difference being the controller set to RAID ON, or to RAID AUTODETECT/AHCI:

1:  The old Samsung drive originally installed on the Dell 9200, running as a single SATA-2 disk under the RAID controller to take advantage of AHCI got these results:

Transfer rate 37-75 MB/s

Mean transfer rate 61.8 MB/s

Burst rate 119.7 MB/s

CPU usage 7%.

2.  The same drive installed on the same computer, running as a single SATA-2 disk under the SATA controller, no AHCI:

Transfer rate 37.9-75.7 MB/s

Mean transfer rate 61.6 MB/s

Burst rate 146.8 MB/s

CP Usage 2%.

Interesting figures, looks like similar transfer rates, but higher burst rates and lower CPU usage under the SATA controller, at least for this drive.

40 Posts

June 22nd, 2010 17:00

Hey again,

Thanks for posting your benchmarks, I think this thread will very helpful to anyone who is looking for the same answers that we were.

So, you did go ahead and reinstall with RAID ON?

You should think about Windows 7. it really made a ageing XPS 410 have new life! Install is an absolute breeze. I DID NOT HAVE TO FIND A SINGLE DRIVER FOR ANYTHING IN MY SYSTEM. I didn't have to even use the CDs that came with add in hardware. Windows just knew what it was and installed the drivers.but not to get off the subject.

I did a benchmark of my system too today just to cure my curiosity and to give comparable results to this thread Using HD Tune also.

Dell XPS 410 with Western Digital Caviar Black HDD. running as a single SATA-2 disk under the RAID controller to take advantage of AHCI, (RAID ON)  I got these results

Transfer rate 39-76 MB/s

Mean transfer rate 63.3 MB/s

Burst rate 152.5 MB/s

CPU usage 4%

The same drive installed on the same computer, running as a single SATA-2 disk under the SATA controller, no AHCI  (RAID AUTODETECT)

Transfer rate 37.5-75.6 MB/s

Mean transfer rate 61.2 MB/s

Burst rate 136.2 MB/s

CP Usage 2%.

My results are a little different than yours but not much. it looks like system configuration makes a difference as much as the type of HDD used in a system.

To reiterate, Burst rate don't really have substantial effects on normal computer usage but a gamer will tell you that Burst rate and CPU usage are very important in a gaming environment.  Maybe that is why I got a "noticeable to the eye" change in speed under a heavy load as my hardware is different than yours. Can I ask how much memory do you have installed in your system? sorry I see that we have the same exact memory after taking another glance at your system specs.

13 Posts

June 23rd, 2010 18:00

Hi again -

Thanks for posting those, it's really helpful to be able to compare results for the drive with different controllers in 2 different setups - the pattern is definitely similar within slightly different results - tends to suggest, as you say, that unless you're after a good burst speed, RAID ON for a non-raid drive doesn't seem to confer a significant advantage, and in fact uses more CPU.

I ended up using a non-RAID installation, largely because it's simpler in concept and in practice, at least when having to load XP.

I agree, Windows 7 would be nice, but it's not on the financial horizon atm.  Also, having reinstalled and reconfigured all my software, I'm not sure I can face doing it all again!

13 Posts

June 23rd, 2010 18:00

Hi -

Thanks for posting your results, interesting to see that the pattern is the same as it was on my setup - no real advantage unless you're looking for burst speed, and at least double the CPU consumption using the raid on option.

I've gone with the raid autodetect/ata option since it's simpler in concept and since I don't have to manually sort out drivers when loading XP.

As you say, Windows 7 would be nice, but it's a bit off the financial horizon at the moment, esp since I'd have to replace some elderly software..

Thanks again

No Events found!