Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 29th, 2017 23:00

Is Costco dell XPS same as from dell.com

I am thinking of buying the new XPS 8930.  Then Costco has www.costco.com/Dell-XPS-Tower---Intel-Core-i7---4GB-NVIDIA-Graphics.product.100380742.html.  If I take the dell.com entry level XPS 8930, upgrade the CPU and memory to the costco spec, it will be $1250.  The only difference is that Dell has 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, while the costco is 2TB HDD.  But the costco one is $350 cheaper, way offset the additional SSD.  Does anyone know if the costco version is the same XPS 8930 as from dell.com?  Or is it complete different machine at all.  From dell.com, XPS 8930 is the only one that can come with 8th gen i7 cpu.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 30th, 2017 02:00

I haven't looked at this specific model, but in the past most of the Retail models sold in stores are the same basic machine.  Options can be different, such as the difference in disc drives as you mentioned, which may or may not make the specific model number different.  

307 Posts

November 30th, 2017 06:00

The only difference I found between Costco Dell's and Dell's from dell.com is the options; more memory, larger HDD, Windows 10 Pro, and longer warranty. The options offered by Costco are Dell quality parts. The warranty is with Dell except the extended warranty portion is offered by Costco through a 3rd party. In the end the Costco Dell cost less. Dell.com does not offer the options in Costco Dell's, I believe, to avoid cost comparison. Dell.com does not price match Costco although they do price match Staples, Best Buy, etc.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 30th, 2017 08:00

When I look there is a wide variance in cost between the same models.

https://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?dept=All&keyword=dell+xps&pageSize=96

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 30th, 2017 11:00

In the past, the "Big Box" stores were supposed to provide the warranty service for the first year too. So you may want to ask about that.

And if you buy from Big Box, you'll have to register the Service Tag in your name at Dell's site:

www.onlineregister.com/.../

307 Posts

November 30th, 2017 16:00

When I registered my Costco Dell with dell.com and entered my service tag, the warranty says 15 months. You would think if the warranty service is with someone else Dell would not provide any information, but instead it says "Onsite Service After Remote Diagnosis (Consumer Customer)/ Next Business Day Onsite After Remote Diagnosis (Commercial Customer)".  Also the configuration information is also on dell.com.including the Costco specific options.

No Events found!