Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 22nd, 2015 15:00

Is it possible to run an Optiplex 3020 Headless?

My client is using an Optiplex 3020M as a server.  No user connects to this PC.  Can it be operated without a monitor? (headless)

August 3rd, 2015 19:00

Hi Ron,

Well, you are right, Dell surely isn't too concerned that this feature doesn't work.  For what it is worth, the electronics in the dummy plug are very simple so I am VERY confident that it is NOT the dummy plug.  I am thinking that this has more to do with the M(micro) form factor than anything.  I would love to have someone try it on a MT or even a SFF.

I really don't have room to put the monitor but I guess I will make room under a desk.  I also COULD use a KVM but I"m afraid of confusing the office staff with "too many buttons".......LOL

Thanks again for all of your effort and the discussion.  Bottom line is IT DOESN"T SUPPORT it.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 22nd, 2015 18:00

You'll need to buy a "headless monitor dongle" because there probably isn't a BIOS setting for "headless".

A number of headless dongles are available such as this one which uses an HDMI port on the PC. Have no personal experience with it so I can't guarantee it actually works... :emotion-5:

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 22nd, 2015 18:00

And you can read this thread for more discussion about being headless, and a report of success with that dongle.

July 29th, 2015 21:00

Hi there.  So I ordered a VGA dummy plug from Amazon.  VGA dummy plugs are not easy to find.  When I installed it, it kept the pc from booting.  I thought I had a blown PSU.  I took off the dummy plug and the  unit powered up fine.  I'd guess that  the dummy plug is shorting something  out and  drawing too much current and  PSU can't take it and won't boot. I get NO lights when the dummy plug is  installed. 

The specs for the  dummy plug are:

• HD15 Male VGA Plug
  • RGB Pins Connected to RGB GND Pins Using 75-ohm Resistors.
  • (Resistors between pings; 1-6, 2-7, 3-8 which is per spec)
  • CablesOnline Part Number : VE-D01

I did validate the I have 75 ohms between 1-6, 2-7 and 3-8.  I also verified the ground pins and that the other  pins are NOT grounded. 

Does anyone know any more about the technical (electrical) requirements of the plug? I have seen DVI dummy plugs but my only other video port is a Display Port. 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 30th, 2015 12:00

Sorry the VGA dummy monitor plug didn't work.

Maybe you got a defective one?

Does the PC boot with a VGA monitor connected to that port?

Can you ask CablesOnline for assistance or at least ask them for a support contact at the plug manufacturer?

Not sure what else to say, since there's no headless setting option in BIOS.

August 3rd, 2015 08:00

Hello Ron,

I was able to boot up an Optiplex 330 with  the  dummy plug so I  don't think that  plug is the  issue. 

The  3020M's both boot normally when  a monitor is connected. 

I  am becoming more convinced that this is a flaw in the product (either  design or  manufacturing).

Can  you offer any other course of  action.  I know that this is a somewhat  obscure application but I  would think that Dell would be concerned that it did not work. 

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 3rd, 2015 10:00

Some systems are probably just not designed to run headless which is not in high demand. So doubtful Dell will do anything about it.

Besides, you still can't rule out a fault in the plug if it works with certain systems and not others. Still think you should contact the plug manufacturer.

Or maybe just get a cheapo VGA monitor and set Windows to turn it off after a relatively short time period.

No Events found!