Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 21st, 2009 20:00

Is there any way to turn off or change the flashing light on the power button of a Dell Studio XPS in standby mode?

I tried to search for this topic, but couldn't find it on the forums (though one thread said it was asked before).

The flashing light on the power button when the computer goes into standby is really annoying.  This is the first time I've used Vista, though I'm not a novice to PC's.  I was wondering if there is a way to either stop the power light from flashing off and on during standby or (even better) change it so it turns amber during standby mode.  My old Vaio desktop went from blue to amber during standby mode, which was pretty nice.  If I can't have the light always on white or amber, then I'd rather have the light completely off instead of flashing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

Computer: Dell Studio XPS, core i7, Windows Vista Home Premium

137 Posts

January 22nd, 2009 00:00

I that the lights are controlled by firmware on the motherboard rather rather than by the OS. If this is the case then there is no way to turn it off unless there is a bios option, and I doubt that there is.

482 Posts

January 22nd, 2009 09:00

Hey daruma13,

I do agree wiht the others, there is no BIOS/software method of altering this LED.

I found that it was a distraction when gaming on my 730 H2C X-panel, which I has set up to game with red leds, and there is the power and flashing memory led bright blue.  So I "fixed" the problem with a little bit of fingernail polish, which may seem like a radical mod on a multi thousand dollar machine, but it makes me more happy.   Now it is a "punk" machine complete with Red lights and Black fingernail polish, go figure.

If I ever get rid of the machine, a little polish remover, hopefully it will not mar the plastic finish.

Hope you enjoy your machine, I know that mine has made me very happy,

Darrell WV

137 Posts

January 23rd, 2009 00:00

DO NOT USE NAIL POLISH.

I had a similar problem with a blue light LED on a monitor that was shining right in my eye. I resolved it in a way that did not involve marking my equippment in any way that would reduce it's value. I stuck a black sticker over it. The kind that you can pick up for a dollar a packet from any craft store.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 21st, 2009 20:00

daruma13

Sorry, but as far as I know, there is no way to stop the LED, or change the colour while on Standby.

You could always shut the system down.  

Bev.

2 Posts

January 22nd, 2009 13:00

Thanks for the replies.  I kind of feared that was the case.  I like the nail polish suggestion, I'll have to ask my wife to see what she has.  At least it won't be so bright.  If not, I could try to see if I can disconnect the LED (was hoping not to have to do that).  I guess it's the little things we don't think about that make an impression.  Otherwise, I'm happy with the computer. 
Thanks again!

1 Message

August 1st, 2010 16:00

I have a Dell Studio laptop but I have Windows 7 so this might not work for you. What I decided to do was to go into Power Options and change the settings a little bit. For me the biggest issue with the light was having it blink in my bedroom when I close my computer to go to bed. I decided to change the setting for when I close the lid of my computer. I changed it from Sleep (Standby) to Hibernate. With Hibernate it saves the information you had (open programs, tabs open on your internet browser, etc.) and saves them on the hard drive and then shuts down the computer. After it saves the information and shuts down the light will turn off. This is great for me because it doesn't blink while I'm trying to sleep and then when I wake up and turn on my computer it has everything saved that I had open the night before. Hope this helps.

1 Message

December 31st, 2010 18:00

DO NOT USE NAIL POLISH.

I had a similar problem with a blue light LED on a monitor that was shining right in my eye. I resolved it in a way that did not involve marking my equippment in any way that would reduce it's value. I stuck a black sticker over it. The kind that you can pick up for a dollar a packet from any craft store.

I cannot agree with you, I doubt it is useful.
No Events found!