Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 7th, 2017 19:00

Issue installing Windows 10 on Dell i3050 mini pc into new blank SSD

I'm having no luck installing windows 10 from USB drive onto new ssd I installed in Dell i3050 mini pc. I tried with UEFI mode including Secure boot disabled or enabled as well as legacy mode.

The install goes throw and then it hangs on the first boot at Dell's logo.

Any help would be appreciated? I don't know if I should contact tech support. 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 8th, 2017 04:00

What build (1607, etc.) of Windows 10 are you installing?

30 Posts

February 8th, 2017 06:00

I believe it is 1607. I also tried Dell's windows recovery image. I used Dell OS Recovery Tool to create USB drive. Because my mini pc only has 32gb ssd dell is providing windows recovery image to recover pc instead of  recovery partition, but mo matter what recovery media I use the 1st boot gets stuck on Dell's logo.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 10th, 2017 08:00

NVME drivers are not native to windows 10.  Without F6 mass storage drivers it will never "see" a drive.

Its also possible that the SSD has been written to death and that's why its not working.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

You are completely wrong.  This is a NGFF  Next Generation Form Factor NVME SSD.  It is NOT a 2.5 inch Sata SSD.

http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-3050-micro-desktop_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf

30 Posts

This ssd is not NVME. All partitions are there and I can write into it. It just does not want to boot up.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 10th, 2017 09:00

No that's wrong too.   You cannot use B Keyed Devices.

M2 with B key is Regular Sata.

M keyed only is PCI-E AHCI aka NVME.

Both are NGFF

30 Posts

It is an M.2 SATA, but it is not newest NVMe.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

The other issue is that it seems to be 42mm or 60mm max which limits what you can replace it with.  A better route would be to get the special cable for 2.5 inch drive.

30 Posts

February 10th, 2017 17:00

I think you misunderstood me. The M600 I got is 2260 M.2 ssd. It fits fine. I did have to move black thing that hold ssd because original ssd was only 2242 size. I know new ssd works fine because I test it in other motherboard and I can install windows 10 on it. I also was be able to install windows 10 on the same ssd installed in this dell i3050 mini pc. I had to trick it. I had to change mode from ahci to ata and use legacy boot. Then after first boot I used know trick to switch from ata to ahci using registry hack. I would prefer to install windows 10 on Dell i3050 mini pc in normal UEFI mode.

Does it make sense?

Thanks

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 14th, 2017 06:00

"Normal UEFI mode requires the hardware have a certificate in the BIOS for secure boot"  Otherwise Legacy CSM is required for booting.

30 Posts

February 14th, 2017 11:00

I'm not a newbie in this. Either dell crippled bios in i3050 or there is a bug in it. Original ssd was configured as UEFI GPT. I tried everything and the only way I can install windows 10 as in Legacy MBR setup. This is all i'm saying. Dell's windows recovery media does not recover image into the new ssd. Either the ssd size or internal partition IDs are hard coded in iso file Dell provides. Even bios looks different in i3050 in comparison to other dell's PCs.  

30 Posts

February 24th, 2017 09:00

I don't think you understand. Yes, it can be MBR if you use legacy bios to install windows on clean drive(no partitions at all) and this is how it is installed for me.

In general. What I am saying that recovery image media provided for my I3050 mini pc does not work on new bigger ssd.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 24th, 2017 09:00

Windows has not installed MBR since XP.   Windows 7 and up DO NOT ALLOW MBR partitions for installation.   GPT can be UEFI with Secure Boot on or CSM on.  Windows 7 did allow Dual boot XP and 7.  If you install Windows 7 (or Windows Vista) as a second operating system on a PC where Windows XP is already installed, the Windows boot menu incorporates the options from the older boot menu. But if you install a fresh copy of Windows XP (or Windows Server 2003) on a system that is already running Windows 7, you’ll overwrite the MBR with one that doesn’t recognize the Windows 7 boot loader.     GPT especially is required to break the 2TB MBR limit. for advanced format drives.  UEFI systems DO NOT ALLOW MBR partitions or MSDOS or WIN9X or XP.

7-x64 also can only work with an GPT when the partition is larger than 2TB for booting.

This is why with 7 and up windows creates

Partition   FileSystem   Size   Purpose

EFI         FAT32        100MB  EFI Boot Sector on GPT disk  (this is bigger being 350MB with 10

)MSR         N/A          128MB  Hidden Services Partition for GPT disk Booting

Primary     NTFS         N/A    Windows Installation/Data Volume

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 24th, 2017 11:00

UEFI CSM is not  CLASS 0 LEGACY BIOS.  You cannot install 7 or 8 or 10 on UEFI system with MBR.  Ancient Optiplex systems back to GX620 have NON UEFI BIOS.

If you could install on MBR partition then you could also install DOS or WIN9X or XP.  CSM on DOES NOT ALLOW DOS or WIN9X or XP to be installed.   XP will actually install on FAT32 partition and dual boot DOS/WIN9X and XP on a Fat32 partition.   Windows 7 only installs on NTFS and ONLY GPT partitions on UEFI systems.  You are NOT installing on MBR Partitions with CSM ON.

Windows 8 , 8.1, 10 is class 2.3.1 UEFI with CSM is not 16 bit LEGACY 30 YEAR OLD MSDOS compatible BIOS.  Nor does it allow MBR partitions.

No Events found!