Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 10th, 2016 14:00

Just "installed" Radeon R7 250 graphics card on my Dell Optiplex 9020. Black screen when I plug the monitor into the card. Help!

Hi Yall,

So I have successfully (I think) installed my new Radeon R7 250 "low profile" graphics card on my Dell Optiplex 9020.  I plugged it in the motherboard, started up the computer then went to Device Manager to update the drivers--which I did.  Side note: Ever since plugging the graphics card into the motherboard, some tasks like starting programs or starting windows take 2-10X as long as they used to.  Anyhow, it then asked for a restart, which I did.  The computer still took extra long to start any program, and when I plugged the monitor into the graphics card all I got was a black screen. 

Take two:  I then read that I should have uninstalled my current graphics driver (Intel integrated HD graphics) before I installed my new graphics card, but failing this, I could uninstall my old graphics card and change the default graphics card in the bios.  I uninstalled the old card and went to the bios, but could not change the default...can't remember exactly what it called it, graphics controller or something.  I could see that intel HD graphics was still the default (this is after uninstalling intel HD graphics and then restarting) but could find no way to change this.  Supposedly dell will make the switcheroo on its own...but it doesn't seem to have. 

Take three:  Next I physically removed the graphics card, restarted the computer, then physically inserted the graphics card again, then started the computer again (no, I did not insert the card while the computer was on). 

I'm not sure what else to try.  The computer still starts programs exceedingly slowly and still gives me a black screen when I try to plug the monitor into the graphics card--which the computer recognizes as existing in the Device Manager.  What is more, the Intel HD graphics card that I uninstalled appears to have reinstalled itself as it is now visible again in the Device Manager plus it has the little control program accessible from the "hidden icons" popup menu off of the toolbar in the lower right-hand corner. 

I can't help but think that if I could get the bios to prefer the radeon card I'd be set--but I don't see an option for this.  Help?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

November 12th, 2016 08:00

Did you upgrade the power supply unit? Adding a separate card automatically disables the on board graphics. However most Optiplex computers are low powered and need power upgrades to run today's video cards. Yours has less than 300w psu and that can't run high powered cards.

4 Posts

November 12th, 2016 12:00

I solved the problem.  The DVI-to-VGA adapter that came with the card doesn't work.  Once I used a DVI cord to connect to the card, it works fine and I no longer have the performance issues that I did.  

Sorry I didn't post this earlier--when I figured it out my post was still in moderation so I couldn't update it.  

4 Posts

November 12th, 2016 13:00

Hi Mary

Thank you for the help, sorry to lead you on a wild goose chase.  In regards to the power draw:  I don't think it's an issue, as I bought a low-profile card, and I read somewhere that they are supposed to cap their power draw at...I can't remember, but something appropriate. 

But I might be wrong.  How would I check?  Would the card just not work if power draw was an issue, or would it work, just not as well as it might? 

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 14th, 2016 09:00

Power Draw depends on WHICH VERSION of R7 250.  The 250E is a 7750 with max TDP of 75W.

R7 250 is a little bit slower than the 7750, but faster than the 7730.

4 Posts

November 14th, 2016 11:00

I don't believe I have the 250 E.  Mine is the "saphire," and it looks like they call the 250E "ghost"--it looks different, it has a fan.  The number that seems to go with this item is 11215-06-20G, if that helps.  

OK, so if I understand you correctly, max tdp is how much heat the unit will produce when working at max capacity, and the question is whether my computer can dissipate that much heat.  If the answer turns out to be "my computer cannot dissipate that much heat," then I need to upgrade the power supply unit...but why that?  Excuse my ignorance, but wouldn't I just need a better fan or something?  Or is it my old power supply unit that is creating the heat that needs dissipating?  

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 14th, 2016 18:00

TDP is not heat its power used.  75W and less cards get all of this power from the X16 Slot.

That means cards that use more than 75W have an Aux connector.

150W cards use 1 6 pin connector like the 750TI FTW in the previous post.

Cards that use more than 225W have an 8 pin and a 6 pin.

You cant spec a power supply by Watts and the 12v rails alone ignoring the 3.3v/5v rails or the +5VSP or -12v Rails.

Sappire support is very non helpful when you have CSM BIOS and need DOS VESA MODE 103 for F2 BIOS setup.

Earlier 5450 6450 6670 7750 7770 cards did not have this issue.

254 Posts

November 15th, 2016 07:00

most r7  250 pull max about 60-65w of power so that shouldn't be the issue unless it's the overclock r7 250x that needs the 6 pin power plug.  black screen leads me to think it could be the BIOS is still set to only use on board APU ... on my new Inspiron 3650 i had to go into BIOS and tell it to use the card because it was set to use the on board APU only by default.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 18th, 2016 09:00

R7 250E is a remarked 7750   R7 250X is a remarked 7770

There were no issues with NON UEFI cards.  There ARE non working issues with UEFI cards.  This is the problem.  A dell precision 690 with 1000W power supply does not work for any of these cards for the same reason.

No Events found!