Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 30th, 2017 21:00

Keyboard and Mouse Freezes at Login Screen After BIOS Update to 2.1.8 on XPS 8900

Hi, I am desperately in need of some HELP!!! 3 days ago, I performed a series of updates sent out by Dell on my XPS 8900 Desktop, including updating the BIOS from version 2.1.3 to 2.1.8. Everything went fine until the final reboot after the BIOS update. After repeatedly getting a blue screen and system shutdown, I was given the option of restoring the computer to the last known working configuration/reverting the hard drive, which I did. Now, everything works fine UNTIL I get to the login screen at which point my keyboard and mouse freezes up. I've tried both a wired mouse and keyboard as well as the wireless on that was originally in it, but to NO avail, it still freezes up at the login screen. I've tried regular mode, safe mode, and every available mode, but again, to no avail. The BIOS version is showing as 2.1.8 and I don't have the option in BIOS setup to roll it back to 2.1.3. I contacted Dell Customer Support via telephone and the representative told me that I will have to reinstall the OS (Windows 7 Ultimate), which is NOT an option, as I have files on it that UNFORTUNATELY, I did NOT back up, and CAN'T afford to lose. I've searched the internet, but still have not been able to solve the problem, which according to my research, has to do with the usb ports losing power during the boot up process, which I know to be true because I can use the mouse and keyboard until it get's to the Window logo screen, at which point the power light on both of them go out, and again, they freeze at the login screen. I even went tout and purchased an external usb port with an ac adapter as suggested in one of the blogs I read, but that too has proven to be a failure.  So if anyone out there has experienced the same problem and have a working solution and/or know where I can find on, PLEASE advise, because I find it hard to believe that I am the ONLY one battling this issue and that reinstalling the OS is the ONLY solution. Thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 31st, 2017 12:00

If everything works until the log-in screen, this doesn't sound like a BIOS problem because by the time you get to the log-in screen BIOS has handed control over to Windows.

You can try powering off and unplugging power cord from REAR of PC. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec. Then reconnect power cord to rear of PC and see if USB works properly now. May not help, but worth a try...

What happens if you boot from a bootable USB or CD/DVD? Connect the USB or put the disk in the drive and reboot. Immediately press F12. Look for the option to boot from USB or optical drive...

You can try to repair the existing install without losing your files.  Reboot and immediately press F8. Look for the option to repair Windows 7. Read this for more details and have your Win 7 disk handy.

www.dell.com/.../how-to-run-a-startup-repair-on-windows-vista--7--8--81-and-10-operating-systems-on-a-dell-pc

1 Message

May 31st, 2017 11:00

Firstly, if the your data is extremely important, and you have another desktop that has an available SATA & power connector (or an external USB docking station for 3.5" HDD), you might consider manually copy/recover the data off that hard drive by installing it in as a secondary drive while the system is off. Just make sure that you're booting from the other desktop OS drive since boot order might change. That way any additional tinkering or trying to repair the OS won't cause you more of a headache if data corruption happens.

As for the BIOS update 2.1.8, I have *not* noticed any adverse affects when I updated my XPS 8900 from 2.1.5 about a week ago (I'm running Win7 Pro). Of course, I used the BIOS built in one-time menu flash function with a USB flash drive formatted to FAT32 to do the BIOS update rather than through Windows.

Now, I don't know exactly what's wrong with your box, but maybe some settings *might* have changed in the BIOS. I haven't noticed changes, but if your flash perhaps behaved differently, you might take a look and see if the controller mode has changed (AHCI or RAID) from what it used to be. Additionally since you state the USB ports simply don't work outside of the BIOS, it's possible that the ports may have become turned off in the BIOS settings?

Alternatively, since you have installed a number of other updates around the same time? Maybe those updates contributed to the problem or caused some incompatibility, but I have a hard time believing that safe mode will not boot up properly if that were the case. At last resort if you can't figure out how to repair the OS (with a repair disk, system image, backups, etc.) then reinstall would be an option.

<<< Friendly reminder to backup data regularly in the future + full system images that you can reliably fall back on and a repair disk to go with them! >>>

The XPS 8900 BIOS appears have an option to flash to a previous version even though I've never tested this (I've seen the option in the BIOS setup). Though I'd do more troubleshooting before doing so since BIOS updates are rather risky if something goes wrong.

The F12 One-Time Boot Menu BIOS Flash Option:

www.dell.com/.../flashing-the-bios-from-the-f12-one-time-boot-menu

3 Posts

June 2nd, 2017 11:00

Thanks for your assistance, but the problem has been solved by another contributor. However, as you pointed out, the BIOS update was not the problem, but one of the other updates, which was corrected once I reverted the hard drive to earlier than I originally did. Needless to say, all my files are now backed up and is scheduled to do so on a regular basis. Like you, I am still running Windows 7, only difference is I'm running Ultimate, as opposed to Pro, so again, thank you very much for your response. .

3 Posts

Thank you Sir, my computer is now back to running normal and I am again able to login, all without the reinstall, thanks to your assistance. The problem was with one of the Dell updates, and I apparently didn't restore my computer back far enough. Once I followed the link you provided and conducted the startup repairs, I then reverted the harddrive back to earlier than in the day than I initially did, and that took care of it. Ironically, the BIOS updated without any issues and therefore was not the problem like you said. Thanks again for your assistance.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

Glad to hear you're back in business!  

Be sure to run a Windows Update, if it's not set to Automatic, in case you restored to a date before some of the recent Microsoft updates were installed, because they would have been removed by the restore.

No Events found!