srlawson
1 Nickel

Re: Keyboard failure

Chris,

Diagnostic lights and power button light are green.  Lights 1,2, & 3 stay on.  Two beeps at final screen of interrupted boot, screen message is keyboard failure and Floppy diskette seek failure.  Above the failure messages are "Dell DXP051 Series" and "BIOS version A02".

No floppy drive on computer.  Keyboard and mouse are dell optical variety, both work on my laptop.  USB transmitter seems like it does not get proper power/signal when connected to desktop.   I've tried taking the battery out and removing then replacing the jumper.  Not a computer expert by any means, just know enough to be dangerous.  Only discernible part # on the MB is about 12 digits long.  Appreciate any help you can provide.

Scott

srlawson
1 Nickel

Additionally, all the USB ports function sufficiently to charge an IPOD, though none of them appear to recognize a wired keyboard/mouse or wireless receiver. 

Chris_Mixon
2 Iron

It looks like the motherboard needs to be replaced.

HG547 Motherboard Service Kit for Prescott & Smithfield CPUs
HJ073 Motherboard Service Kit for Presler CPUs

srlawson
1 Nickel

I called spare parts, they said they are out of HG547 but assured me that FJ030 was compatible.  Can you verify that?

Thanks.

jairoram
1 Copper

I read many suggestions for the "keyboard failure" problem and this is the one that worked.  I have an XPS 400.  Thanks !

7 Plutonium

jairoram-

Which suggestion worked?

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

theedge101
1 Copper

I am having a similar problem.

Last night I connected a Vivitar camera.  I forgot to install the drivers for the camera first.  When I connected the camera, the computer locked up.  I powered off the computer and when I turned it on this morning, it booted to the User login screen for XP.  However, both the keyboard and mouse do not work.  When I restarted the computer, I noticed that I was getting a "keyboard error" and that the computer did not seem to recognize any input from the keyboard.  I tried four different keyboards without any luck.

Bottom line, it looks like all the USB ports on the computer have become diabled.  Effectively, I cannot do anything with my computer because there is no PS/2 port for me to try an older keyboard.  The keyboard is getting power (it lights up) but no functionality.  Oddly, my mouse does not seem to be getting any power.

The computer (XPS 400) is booting up fine and there are no error lights on.  Just seems that the BIOS got scrambled.

Highlighted
cyndiword
1 Copper

I am having the same problem with my xps 400, keyboard failure. It seems like a lot of people are having the same problem and I am wondering if Dell is doing anything about this product. i don't want to pay for tech support to tell me it is an expensive mother board problem. Thanks

jairoram
1 Copper

Try this:

Turn off PC by holding down power button.   After it turns off - unplug from wall. 

While unplugged from wall - hold down the power on/off button for 60 seconds (this drains the power from the system).

Plug PC back in and reboot - hopefully, that fixes the issue.

From what I have seen, this is a common problem and the keyboards are fine - Dell does not currently have a solution.

Good luck!

TroyM27
1 Copper

jairoram,

Thank you this worked for me.  I was trying to sync a pda phone through usb and unplugged it during sync.  The mouse and keyboard froze and I had to reboot.  All further reboots came up with keyboard failure.  I tried multiple keyboards.

I tried your advice and it was up and running on the next reboot.

Thanks and good luck to all.

Troy

0 Kudos