Highlighted
Davet50
6 Indium

Re: Keyboard failure

CMOS RESET

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

procedure for your system.

Unfortunatly there are numerous others who have experienced the loss of USB ports on the 400/9150. The only fix has been a motherboard replacement.

Home Built Sandy Bridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 GHz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 10 Pro

Forum member since 2003

walshtravels
1 Nickel

In my case, I got past the error message because one USB port is working and I have a port extender plugged into it  (although I haven't tried plugging anything else into that port just to see if something else--like a camera--would also work).  So I have the computer working (hoping that it will keep working).  But I'd like to get the USB ports functional.  I just got a message--it popped up--that one of my USB ports is malfunctioning.  So my question still remains--is there a way to get the USB ports functional?

Therre are still a few other responses to my message that I haven't read yet, so I'll see if there is something that comes out of this.  Because, ultimately, my one remaining USB port may fail and I may be in the same boat at you--no way to interact with the computer.

walshtravels
1 Nickel

OK, that's something I haven't done yet.  That goes on the list.

Although I haven't read all the post yet that are subsequent to this one, in my mind two other options need to be considered:

1. remove and reinstall the jumper

2. restore computer to an earlier time (before I did my defrag which happened just before this error occurred).

Any opinion on those options?

Thanks.

TomJones75
1 Nickel

I don't think a restore would work, especially if it's a hardware malfunction. You can try it though if you have your data backed up. I still think it's a motherboard failure.

walshtravels
1 Nickel

Restore didn't work--that was the easiest thing to try, so I tried it first.  Next will be the jumpers.  Then, the battery.

JJaX2004
1 Nickel

I removed the jumper and took the lithuim battery out of the motherboard for 48 hours.

I still get a Keyboard error and Floppy Disk seek error.

New PC should be in my office this afternoon.

walshtravels
1 Nickel

I'll be doing the same thing tonight.  So we'll see if I have any better luck.  I'll let everybody know.

TomJones75
1 Nickel

My concern is that the repair locations will use the same mobo as the factory original and I can't get confirmation which mobo these places will use. Will they use the same board Dell used? Will they replace the board with a good one, will they just try to repair the board? I still say avoid Dell, and I tell my customers the same... which is a shame because not too long ago Dell had some really nice machines.

The best I can say is research your computer very well before you buy it, or learn to build your own. Your best bet is to build your own... you get the patrs you want, and no one is really to blame but you (or the individual manufacturer). Plus I tell everyone that you no longer pay for quality, you pay for technology. This is a disposable world.

GSermon
1 Nickel

I have exactly the same problem as above (on my Dell 9150 dimension). The pc turns on with "keyboard failure" and "floppy diskette seek failure etc". I have checked the keyboard and mouse on my laptop, changed the system battery for a new one, tried the 3 pin jumper trick as above and now have absolutely no ideas as to what needs to be done. Is there an official Dell response to this problem? Just try a new motherboard is not a solution as far as i am concerned.

raza.shah
1 Nickel

Turn on the PC, unplug the keyboard from the USB port, now look at the keyboard LEDs (Caps, Num & Scrool) and plug the keyboard into port while observing the LEDs. if the LEDs dont blink while plug in the keyboard, the problem is with the power source of USB ports on the motherboard.