Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 17th, 2007 08:00

Keyboard failure

Hi.

I have a Dell dimension 9150 with dell keyboard and dell mouse (both USB).

My problem is that a couple of days ago I was playing my computer when it suddenly froze. I shut down the computer and turned it on again. Now when it is booting it stops for a while on the first Dell screen. After 20 seconds it moves on but writes: "Keyboard Failure".
The result of this is that i can neither use my keyboard nor my mouse which indicates that i am rather stuck!!!

I can't press the f1, f2 og f12 bottons.
I have tried to use the other USB-entries.
Both the keyboard and the mouse works perfectly on my laptop.

Can anyone please help me?

1 Message

March 11th, 2012 08:00

Thanks so much Kieth. The unplu and power down option worked for me

1 Message

June 26th, 2012 12:00

How was this corrected

1 Message

February 24th, 2013 10:00

Just a note to say thank you for this tip.  I had the keyboard/mouse failure after trying to charge my gps.  Your tip saved me from taking the pc in to a tech shop.

Again thank you for sharing.

1 Message

September 7th, 2013 17:00

This worked on my Studio XPS desktop PC running Windows XP Premium Home Edition:

• Power off PC
  • Unplug the power cord from the back of the PC
  • Press and hold the "power on" button for 20-30 seconds (this drains the remainder of power from the system)
  • Plug the power cord back into the PC
  • Power on PC and check for keyboard and mouse availability.

Thanks for the suggestion!

2 Posts

June 30th, 2014 08:00

This is an old post but this thread has come in handy. I have an XPS 400 with XP as well. I have been successful in keeping it going for the last 7 years that I have had it. Mostly fixing bad fans, hard drives and viruses. As others have stated I was trying to get my Samsung to show up on it when all the USBs when out. I bought a USB PCI card and was able to get control back. Then I turned my attention to seeing if I could get my other USBs to work again. There are so many who keep posting to clear the BIOS with pulling the battery and using the blue jumper. You guys need a hammer to the head. This changes the boot order and then you get the F1 to continue or F2 to enter setup and your stuck again. The PCI USB card does not work until your in the OS thus your stuck at the command prompt screen. Mr. Pakistan's 5 step program allowed the system to boot back into the OS but it only worked one time. After rebooting I was once again stuck at the Keyboard failure/F1/F2 prompt . Now I know XP is not being supported. I'm looking at a new purchase. Before this all started I was considering an upgrade to Win7 but I think I will steer clear and look at a new box. We don't do much with out home PC other then browse the internet, send emails and print out cards. So it doesn't need to be the latest and greatest. I'm a guy that likes to fix things. Some of what I see are: About two months ago I was updating my Garmin NUVI and the USB on the Nuvi went bad while connected to this machine. Coincidence? I have had a tone of issue plugging phones in to get the pictures off. I have a USB WIFI device plugged in that I would have to unplug every time in order to read a phone. It was while trying to read my Samsung phone that the USB system on my XPS bit the dust. I read up on the USB 2.0 specs that allow .500mA. I guess I question if that is really per port on this machine. I also read that the Samsung S4 is a USB 2.0 spec device. When I was working with the PCI USB card I downloaded a program called usbdeview and unistalled all the old drivers that were not being used. Was able to see my phone again. My next step of things to try based on reading all 11 pages of posts. Dell Keyboard Powered USB hub (no longer sold at Wal-Mart)(I still get a light on my optical mouse. tells me I have power so I have little hope that this will help) Dell Driver Reset (? mentioned in one post on here no Idea about how to do this)

2 Posts

July 1st, 2014 07:00

The Dell keyboard didn't work.

The fix was using the powered USB hub.  Thanks for the help all.

No Events found!