apollyon48
1 Copper

Re: Keyboard failure

I removed the CMOS battery and held the Power On switch for 30 seconds. Then, I plugged in the mouse, keyboard, and the video adapter (my triple head to go box). I did boot, but there was no green light on the keyboard. I moved the keyboard plug to another USB port, and the keyboard worked. I I got the "keyboard" error and the "no floppy drive" error. I re-booted and went into setup, and fixed what I could. Now, I'm up and running - three 24 inch widescreen monitors are BIG and BRIGHT!

I  haven't trouble-shot which USB ports are inoperative. The one where my keyboard did not work does have power - it reads my cell phone (well, beeps/bongs when I plug it in) and has charged it.

I'm not sure, but I am sure that I'm going to a new computer. I'll likely keep this one as a backup/second.

0 Kudos

I have had this problem and solved it.  My solution is below.

details of my problem:

My computer: Dell 5150 with no PS2 ports (I have noticed many posts for 9150, 4xxx, 8xxx and XPS400/410).

My problem: "keyboard failure, press F1 to continue, F2 to enter setup..."  at boot up, before bios.  There is no opportunity to enter bios, the computer will not boot, and there are no PS2 ports.

Tried: PCI USB card - did not work.  Reset CMOS - did not work.  Reset bios - did not work.   CMOS battery voltage is good.  Multiple keyboards work on other systems.  Same error with or  without USB mouse.  No other USB devices plugged in.

Solution: noticed and replaced four buldging 6.3v 820uf capacitors on the motherboard.

Comments: it seems from reading this long and aged thread that there are more than one problems that cause "keyboard failure."  If the BIOS/CMOS/battery suggestions don't work, inspect your motherboard for buldging capacitors. 

0 Kudos
EJoyce
1 Copper

I resolved a “Keyboard Failure” problem on a Dell Precision 690 by cycling power on a Seagate external hard drive connected to a USB port.

The details follow.

For many months my keyboard worked properly connected to a USB port on an LCD monitor.

Today I started observing a “Keyboard Failure” message immediately after power-on, & I could not enter BIOS setup because the keyboard was not recognized.

Curiously after Windows 7 started, the keyboard worked.

I powered down the computer & moved the keyboard USB connector to a port on the back of the computer but the failure message persisted.

I then checked all USB connected devices & discovered that the “Keyboard Failure” no longer occurred after power was cycled on a Seagate external hard drive connected to a USB port.

Perhaps some electrical anomaly caused the Seagate drive to put interference on the USB bus.

For the record I did leave the keyboard connected to USB port on the back of the computer.

0 Kudos
cardtrickkid1
1 Copper

i have the same problem i know this might sound strange but im not sure what model my dell is but when i boot up it says "keyboard failure" "press F1 to continue or F2 to enter SETUP" help please 🙂

0 Kudos
walshtravels
1 Nickel

I have been part of this particular conversation for ages now.  As far as I can tell there are many different problems which result in the "keyboard failure" message. I have had one solution that has worked for me for years: a powered usb hub.  Plug it into one of the usb ports and then plug the keyboard and mouse into the hub and both work.  It has to be a powered hub--for some reason only one of the built-in usb ports works at a time.  With the powered hub, I can get the keyboard and mouse both working. 

Recently I took the machine in to a repair place because I couldn't even get to the boot options to tell it to boot from my DVD drive so I could reinstall the OS. The hard drive was bad (it turned out) and the person working on the machine had no idea why the ports weren't working. He had to use a powered hub just to repair the machine. But he installed a set of 4 usb ports in an open slot and now I have working usb ports with the keyboard and mouse plugged into those ports. I no longer need the powered hub.  So I have two solutions: a powered hub or new USB ports in an open slot. 

One thing in my case: I did not need a new motherboard.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
RoHe
6 Indium

i have the same problem i know this might sound strange but im not sure what model my dell is but when i boot up it says "keyboard failure" "press F1 to continue or F2 to enter SETUP" help please 🙂

Hard to help you without a model number. Isn't it on the front/side of the PC? If you know the Service Tag number (a sticker on side of PC), go to support.dell.com and click Drivers/Downloads. Click Service Tag option on next page, and put in the number. It should tell you what PC you have. Do NOT post your Service Tag number here.

Do you at least know if you have a USB keyboard or a PS/2 keyboard, and is it wired or wireless?

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
Baunie
1 Copper

Thanks Keithg2...this worked for me...thanks so much 🙂

0 Kudos
JeffDell1234
1 Copper

all four lights on mine are yellow. i just recently tried to put in a new hard drive that i got from a computer at a garage sale. the lady said that she kept getting that message on her computer and thats why she sold it. the computer was fine before i tried hooking up the new hard drive.

0 Kudos
emmanuelg
1 Copper

I have the same problem with one of our 2 Dimension 9150 PCs (Dual core). Keyboard failure and mouse doesnt work. Instead of buying a new motherboard, I would like to make 1 PC from both (as the other one has the main fan dying and therefore(?) the video card acting up).

Can I:

1a. Connect the two harddrives (RAID) from the broken down PC into the other one? I dont see any extra cables or bays for disks. We absolutely need to read/recover data from those disks!, OR

1b. Swap both drives and reboot from them? (No idea if that would work with similar machines, so I do not dare)

2. Use the memory of the broken down one in the other one?

3. Swap the man fan?

4. Have two video cards in one PC?

I would really appreciate some advice/links/info.

Regards,

Emmanuel

0 Kudos
Baunie
1 Copper

Have you tried the motherboard jumper switch? 

0 Kudos