Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 10th, 2009 21:00

Latest Driver for ATI video card for XPS 420

Hi.

I have a 128 Mb ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro for my XPS 420. 

The available driver for this card on Dell's Drivers & Downloads page is version 8.432 (released 5/14/08) which corresponds to Catalyst Control Center v8.3 / 8.4 (I guess). ATI's website has version 8.632 (released 7/22/09) corresponding with Catalyst Control Center v9.7. 

Why is the driver on Dell's site over a year older? 

Can I upgrade to the latest driver & control center made available on ATI's site?

Also, Windows Update has an optional 9.8 Mb update "ATI Technologies Inc. - Display - ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO (released April 2009)" that showed up on 5/14/09.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 11th, 2009 07:00

Many drivers on the Dell downloads are not "current versions" as Dell does not routinely issue updates like the hardware vendors do.  Use the latest version from ATI (download the Catalyst version and it will include both the Catalyst program and the drivers).  The Windows update versions generally are old versions too, because of the Microsoft "validation" process that can take months or even a year to be validated.

There are some hardware drivers that you must use the Dell supplied drivers, but for the Video cards, the vendor's drivers, in this case ATI, should be used.

Dell normally only issues a driver update if the device does not meet their published spec's for the device, where a vendor is constantly updating for the many different potential hardware configurations the device (such as a video card) can be used in or even for to fix a problem in a specific game or graphic program.

9 Posts

August 11th, 2009 22:00

Many thanks, fireberd.

I'll go ahead and install ATI's latest catalyst suite.

No Events found!