Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 29th, 2005 15:00

Lights on back of computer.. A,B,C,D...D is amber? Why?

Okay, I've been having some problems with external usb devices.. and when I rebooted, thinking that might fix it, I noticed that as it was cranking up, I heard several faint beeps.. and when I looked in back to try removing and replacing the usb connections, I noticed that the green ABCD that is usually lit in back, now the D was lit amber instead of green.

What does this mean? I also, found an error code in the device manager on one of my usb devices... any connection?

Thanks much,
Dianne

2.2K Posts

November 29th, 2005 17:00

The cryptic light and beep error code meanings can be found in your User's Guide - available online if you don't have it...

I don't know if the codes are the same from machine to machine, and not knowing what you have I can't say too much, except that they are most likely related. Have you tried booting without your external drive connected to see if it has gone bad? In other words, if all lights up normally without the drive in place, it is probably the drive...

Just for the fun of it, I looked up the codes on a Dimension 2350 - those codes can be found here... But they may be different on your machine.

127 Posts

November 29th, 2005 20:00

@hrova wrote:
The cryptic light and beep error code meanings can be found in your User's Guide - available online if you don't have it...

I don't know if the codes are the same from machine to machine, and not knowing what you have I can't say too much, except that they are most likely related. Have you tried booting without your external drive connected to see if it has gone bad? In other words, if all lights up normally without the drive in place, it is probably the drive...

Just for the fun of it, I looked up the codes on a Dimension 2350 - those codes can be found here... But they may be different on your machine.

Okay, I checked out your link and then found the one for my XPS Gen3, and the particular error code is the same on both.. but, it's no help, because it's so vague... The first 3 lights green, last one amber... meaning: "another failure has occurred"~ The only thing I can think of is to try one of the external devices on another computer, and if they work.. then, it's got to be something wrong with the XPS Gen3.

I figure I'll try that sometime this evening... if you have any other tips.. please let me know, I'm going to need all the help I can get to fix this. ;0)

Thanks,
Dianne

2.2K Posts

November 29th, 2005 20:00

It's kind of sadly funny the way it just says another failure has occured. You're right, not too specific.

I don't have any help at all there - sounds like it's Dell's way of saying that it could be anything.

Good luck - Perhaps someone else here can shed light, but the code seems so vague that I can't imagine there's any one thing to look for...

Sorry I can't help.

Message Edited by hrova on 11-29-2005 04:43 PM

No Events found!