Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 5th, 2010 11:00

Lights on flash drives don't turn off when I eject them...

I'm not sure this is a problem, but it's bugging me so I thought I'd ask.

We bought an Inspiron 530 Vista PC last year.  The 4 USB slots in the front of the machine work just fine, but when I click the little button at the bottom of the screen and go through the steps to "Safely Remove Hardware," I get the "This Device Can Now be Safely Removed from the Computer" message like I should, BUT the lights on the flash drives never go out--even after I get the "all clear" message.  When I use these same flash drives with both of our other two PCs and with our laptop, the flash drive lights extinguish when it's safe to remove them.

Is this an issue I should pursue?

TIA,

B

1.7K Posts

On my home built system that has Windows 7 on it, I tried it with a Sandisk Cruzer "memory key" and the light did not go out when I did the "eject" device.

Mine neither.  I have never lost any data so I don't consider it to be a problem.  I just pull it out after going through the normal process to safely remove it and all is well.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

On my home built system that has Windows 7 on it, I tried it with a Sandisk Cruzer "memory key" and the light did not go out when I did the "eject" device.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 5th, 2010 12:00

I had never given it a thought until this was posted, so I tried it to see.  I also tried it on my Dell Dimension E510 that has Vista 32 bit and it works the same way there and I tried it on an Acer laptop with Win 7 and it works the same there too.  I have to assume "normal" operation is that the light stays lit because it's plugged in and getting the voltage from the USB port.

No Events found!