Desktops General - Read Only

Last reply by 01-15-2005 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
3 Argentum

Loud Popping Noise at Startup.

My Altec Lansing ADA 745 4.1 Speakers seem to make a popping or thudding noise when I first startup up my Dell 4100. It's a really loud thud, it's more annoying than anything. But I'm afraid it's going to bust my speakers. It's louder if I have the volume up louder when I'm booting up. Sometimes I forget I have it really loud and when it starts up the thud is really loud.

I think I read somewhere that it's the internal audio amplifier turning on/off which causes the speakers to pop. It's the amps sending a power spike to the speakers when the desktop is first turned on? This also happens when I have them connected to my TV's audio out. The speakers pop when I turn on the TV.

What can I do about this? Is this a design flaw? My specs are below.

Thanks!

Dell Dimension 4100 Series Pentium 3 @ 933 Mhz
384MB SDRAM @ 133 MHz
40GB Ultra ATA/100 (7200RPM) hard drive
16X NEC DV-5800A DVD-ROM
TDK VeloCD Atapi/E-IDE CD ReWriter 48x/24x/48x
Best Data Smart One 56K V.92/V.44 Internal Modem (56HP-92)
Motorola SURFboard Cable Modem SB5100
SMC EZ Card 10/100 PCI (SMC1211 Series)/
Creative SB Live! Value Digital
32MB NVidia GeForce 2 MX/MX400 video card
Samsung SyncMaster 950p 19" CRT Monitor
Altec Lansing ADA 745 4.1 Surround Sound Speakers w/ Subwoofer
Dell Wireless Keyboard and Optical Mouse
HP Deskjet 932C printer
Windows XP Pro SP1 & Office XP Pro SP2
NAV 2004 Pro
Replies (2)
9 Rhodium

That is typical for many amplifiers or in this case "powered" speakers.  You will just have to make sure the volume control is turned down or turn the speakers off until the PC is powered up (or turn on the TV first then the speakers).

This happens in many guitar amps too.  I had it in a Peavey amp but it never caused a problem.  Some high end systems have built in delays so that the power supply will come up to full voltage and "settle down" before the time delay relay kicks in and that prevents most "pops".

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with Gigabyte Designare Z390,  i9 9900K CPU

Windows 11 64 bit Pro, 22H2, SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.6 Pro Recording Studio Software, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit

Dell S2719DGF Monitor

3 Argentum

So basically there is no fix for this at all? It's really annoying, and I forget about turning off the speakers all the time. I'm used to leaving them on, all the time.
Latest Solutions
Top Contributor