AlanFrench
1 Copper

Loud Squealing from Case

The last two times we've booted up our Dimension 3100 it has squealed loudly.  The sound is coming from the case, but it is a little tough to pinpoint.  If we turn it off, and start it up again, the sound goes away.  My guess is the fan?

If so, should we simply replace it?

Thanks.

Clear skies, Alan
0 Kudos
6 Replies
kellinjar
3 Argentium

Re: Loud Squealing from Case

If you want to be sure on where the noise is, take the side off and start it so you can listen better to pinpoint it. If it is the fan, you shouldn't run it until you get it taken care of. Is it still under warranty?
0 Kudos
AlanFrench
1 Copper

Thanks.

No, it is not under warranty.  I'll boot it with the case open next time.  As far as I can tell, there is good air flow when it boots quietly.  This happened once several months ago, and then was fine until now.

If it turns out to be the fan, I will replace it.

Clear skies, Alan
0 Kudos
kellinjar
3 Argentium

Luckily fans are cheap. Pop it off, take it with you and make sure you get the right size.
0 Kudos
AlanFrench
1 Copper

Booting up with the case open quickly revealed it is the fan in the power supply.

Thanks.

Clear skies, Alan
0 Kudos
dcgtls
4 Tellurium

Have you tried to blow it out with canned air? alot of times when they get caked up with dirt they will make all sorts of noise. It is a good habit to be in to clean out all the fans and the inside of the computer every few months with canned air. I do this at least once a month.

Alienware Aurora R4: i7-3820, 8GB, 10TB of HDD, AMD/ATI Radeon HD 7800, Samsung 27" monitor

XPS 730x: i7 920,   Replaced with an Alienware Aurora R4

XPS 410: Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz (Q6600) , 6GB, EVGA 8800GTS 640MB,
Single TV Tuner , X-Fi Xtreme Music, Logitec X530 Speakers

Latitude 10 Tablet

Inspiron 1720: T7500, 4GB, 120GBx5400, 120GBx7200, 8600GT, DVD+/-RW, Bluetooth,
Windows 8.1

0 Kudos
AlanFrench
1 Copper

Thanks.  Yes, I clean the case on a regular basis, including the fans.  Cleaning did not help, and a new power supply turned out to be reasonably cheap.  (Otherwise I would have opened the power supply and tried to simply replace the fan, or re-oil it.)

We have two house rabbits, so cleaning out the computers is extra important.  Bunny fur is rather light and tends to "get around."

Clear skies, Alan
0 Kudos