Highlighted
Cheryl A
1 Copper

Loud fan and unusual spikes in CPU temp

Brand new XPS 8910

Noticing spikes in idle temperature 50-70+ C  with no load.  Normal idle CPU temp is avg 38-40 C.   Performed a quick scan and temp shot quickly to 80 C.  In my opinion CPU should not have gotten that hot.

The fan will "take off" anywhere from 20 seconds to 2-3 minutes (with varying speed) and many times when the system is completely idle.    I have done sound recording to support the sound and also screen captures of CPU & GPU temps.   Been doing this from Day 1. 

Anyone else experience this?   Suggestions...

Cheryl A.

0 Kudos
22 Replies
7- Thorium

RE: Loud fan and unusual spikes in CPU temp

when the system is completely idle

That doesn't rule out something running in the background that you don't see, such as anti-viral scans, Windows Indexing Service, or maybe apps phoning home to look for updates, or live tiles looking to update their content.

When the fan starts revving, open Task Manager and see what app or process is using CPU time, aside from System Idle. That might point you in the right direction

Do you have the latest version of BIOS (v1.0.9)? And the latest Intel chipset drivers, latest Intel video driver, and the latest video driver for your specific video card, etc? All listed on the Support page.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
jdrodrig
1 Nickel

I have the same problem I think, although I had noticed it more under some load; it will randomly come on and then off; I think it is the PSU fan. but I am blaming the Nvidia 1060 I installed to replace the 750Ti.

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

I pinged my Dell tech contacts about both your threads...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
Cheryl A
1 Copper

Thank you.  NVIDIA GeForce Experience w Auto updates installed.  By Bios is v1.0.9  9/1/2016.  All drivers are up-to-date.   Utilizing the Dell Support Assist to keep updated by notification.   I will take your advice to look at Task Manager next time it starts revving.  ( this is a brand new system)  Thank you for the advice.

Cheryl A.

0 Kudos
Cheryl A
1 Copper

Hi jdrodrig, thanks for the reply.  I am thinking it is a fan issue as well.  I have a Nvidia GTX 970 factory installed but do not believe it is related to that because the GPU temp remains fairly constant while the CPU temp is the one rising.   I am using CAM to monitor the temps.  

Cheryl A.

0 Kudos
Cheryl A
1 Copper

thank you.  will be interested to see if they come back with anything.   See my responses to other replies for info.

Cheryl A.

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

There aren't sensors in bios to read the CPU temp.  80C is not possible.  Components inside would be catching on fire at this temperature.

DELL does not support 3rd party software like SPEEDFAN, HWMONITOR , CPU-Z, CAM etc which give false readings.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Dan-H
4 Germanium

There aren't sensors in bios to read the CPU temp.  80C is not possible.  Components inside would be catching on fire at this temperature.

DELL does not support 3rd party software like SPEEDFAN, HWMONITOR , CPU-Z, CAM etc which give false readings.

These statements that speedfan or CPU-Z gives false readings is completely wrong.

I've posted before screenshots of the sensors from HWiNFO64 stressed with prime 95 with CPU core and package temps around 80C and that is well under TJ-MAX for an i5/i7 processor. 

OP -

I don't have an 8910, but on 8700s and 8500s software tools like CPU-Z and HWiNFO64 and Speedfan all install, find sensors and report on them accurately. They may not find all the temp sensors if Dell is using a proprietary version but getting CPU core temp and Package temps are on the chip. Intel XTU is another tool that can find sensors and report on temps and and settings i not enabled by Dell.

0 Kudos
Dan-H
4 Germanium

Noticing spikes in idle temperature 50-70+ C  with no load.  Normal idle CPU temp is avg 38-40 C.   Performed a quick scan and temp shot quickly to 80 C.  In my opinion CPU should not have gotten that hot.

What measurement reached 80C What software were you using to read this temp?

I suggest Intel Xtu ( search for intel extreme tuning utility) as it has graphs over time of CPU core temps as well as other on-chip sensors. I would then install HWiNFO64 and see if it can find other temp sensors on the board. The "enthusiasts" on the over clocking forums seem to trust HWiNFO64 the most, but more for its ability to read voltage and speed settings more accurately. Temp seems to be solved by many tools.

Once you find two or three tools agreeing on temps, I would look to see what process is running to cause the temps to spike.

Taskmanager, process tab, sorted by CPU. Any time I find my desktop not idling down go there and see what process or service is grinding away doing something I dont' want. It can be things like Adobe updater service, or who knows. if you have a core i7, and CPU load is 12.5% or more for any process, that process is running 100% on one core so I'd research why it is running, shut it off it it is not needed and then move on.

The system when idle should slow the CPU clock and voltages to where the CPU is reasonably cool. 38C isn't bad, so maybe that's the idle temp.

0 Kudos