Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

CA

October 7th, 2016 13:00

Loud fan and unusual spikes in CPU temp

Brand new XPS 8910

Noticing spikes in idle temperature 50-70+ C  with no load.  Normal idle CPU temp is avg 38-40 C.   Performed a quick scan and temp shot quickly to 80 C.  In my opinion CPU should not have gotten that hot.

The fan will "take off" anywhere from 20 seconds to 2-3 minutes (with varying speed) and many times when the system is completely idle.    I have done sound recording to support the sound and also screen captures of CPU & GPU temps.   Been doing this from Day 1. 

Anyone else experience this?   Suggestions...

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

October 7th, 2016 16:00

when the system is completely idle

That doesn't rule out something running in the background that you don't see, such as anti-viral scans, Windows Indexing Service, or maybe apps phoning home to look for updates, or live tiles looking to update their content.

When the fan starts revving, open Task Manager and see what app or process is using CPU time, aside from System Idle. That might point you in the right direction

Do you have the latest version of BIOS (v1.0.9)? And the latest Intel chipset drivers, latest Intel video driver, and the latest video driver for your specific video card, etc? All listed on the Support page.

25 Posts

October 7th, 2016 18:00

I have the same problem I think, although I had noticed it more under some load; it will randomly come on and then off; I think it is the PSU fan. but I am blaming the Nvidia 1060 I installed to replace the 750Ti.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

October 8th, 2016 18:00

I pinged my Dell tech contacts about both your threads...

4 Posts

October 9th, 2016 13:00

Hi jdrodrig, thanks for the reply.  I am thinking it is a fan issue as well.  I have a Nvidia GTX 970 factory installed but do not believe it is related to that because the GPU temp remains fairly constant while the CPU temp is the one rising.   I am using CAM to monitor the temps.  

4 Posts

thank you.  will be interested to see if they come back with anything.   See my responses to other replies for info.

4 Posts

Thank you.  NVIDIA GeForce Experience w Auto updates installed.  By Bios is v1.0.9  9/1/2016.  All drivers are up-to-date.   Utilizing the Dell Support Assist to keep updated by notification.   I will take your advice to look at Task Manager next time it starts revving.  ( this is a brand new system)  Thank you for the advice.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

October 21st, 2016 08:00

There aren't sensors in bios to read the CPU temp.  80C is not possible.  Components inside would be catching on fire at this temperature.

DELL does not support 3rd party software like SPEEDFAN, HWMONITOR , CPU-Z, CAM etc which give false readings.

1.2K Posts

October 22nd, 2016 11:00

There aren't sensors in bios to read the CPU temp.  80C is not possible.  Components inside would be catching on fire at this temperature.

DELL does not support 3rd party software like SPEEDFAN, HWMONITOR , CPU-Z, CAM etc which give false readings.

These statements that speedfan or CPU-Z gives false readings is completely wrong.

I've posted before screenshots of the sensors from HWiNFO64 stressed with prime 95 with CPU core and package temps around 80C and that is well under TJ-MAX for an i5/i7 processor. 

OP -

I don't have an 8910, but on 8700s and 8500s software tools like CPU-Z and HWiNFO64 and Speedfan all install, find sensors and report on them accurately. They may not find all the temp sensors if Dell is using a proprietary version but getting CPU core temp and Package temps are on the chip. Intel XTU is another tool that can find sensors and report on temps and and settings i not enabled by Dell.

1.2K Posts

October 22nd, 2016 12:00

NVIDIA GeForce Experience w Auto updates installed.

I just saw this. I have found the nVidia bloatware on my kids system is a pig and have un-installed it.

If this were my system, I would completely uninstall all of the nVidia suite of software that came with the system, and only re-install the driver, and I would get the latest driver from nVidia.

I would not install the "extras" like GeForce experience or the auto updater. Just the smallest amount to get the driver and the control panel extension.

I would then double check again that the nVidia updater is not running.

1.2K Posts

October 22nd, 2016 12:00

Noticing spikes in idle temperature 50-70+ C  with no load.  Normal idle CPU temp is avg 38-40 C.   Performed a quick scan and temp shot quickly to 80 C.  In my opinion CPU should not have gotten that hot.

What measurement reached 80C What software were you using to read this temp?

I suggest Intel Xtu ( search for intel extreme tuning utility) as it has graphs over time of CPU core temps as well as other on-chip sensors. I would then install HWiNFO64 and see if it can find other temp sensors on the board. The "enthusiasts" on the over clocking forums seem to trust HWiNFO64 the most, but more for its ability to read voltage and speed settings more accurately. Temp seems to be solved by many tools.

Once you find two or three tools agreeing on temps, I would look to see what process is running to cause the temps to spike.

Taskmanager, process tab, sorted by CPU. Any time I find my desktop not idling down go there and see what process or service is grinding away doing something I dont' want. It can be things like Adobe updater service, or who knows. if you have a core i7, and CPU load is 12.5% or more for any process, that process is running 100% on one core so I'd research why it is running, shut it off it it is not needed and then move on.

The system when idle should slow the CPU clock and voltages to where the CPU is reasonably cool. 38C isn't bad, so maybe that's the idle temp.

50 Posts

October 23rd, 2016 06:00

I have precisely the same configuration as you, Cheryl A and exactly the same problem. I don't know if you have the 6700K but I'm running that CPU at total stock, no OC. I have been running my 8910 with the sidecover off and a 12 inch 110V fan blowing into it and have managed to get the temp range between 20C and 55 C. With sidecover on I idle at around 45C and I've seen 96C on Prime95. I've used every possible temperature software to determine it. The false reading on the software is a misstatement as when the system runs hot the air coming out of the top grille is teakettle-level. As much as the Dell engineers may want to dispute this, the 8910 chassis is woefully thermally inadequate. That HSF with the candybar heatsink is a complete joke and performs much worse than Intel stock. Squishing the PSU over the CPU is possibly the worst chassis design in PC history. The case is a throw-away and I'm seriously considering reconfiguring the entire system with a Noctua NH-D15 in a case that actually has reasonable airflow characteristics. As it sits, the case/HSF combo is a total fail.

1.2K Posts

October 23rd, 2016 10:00

@chouichanga, a couple of comments.

prime95 for temp testing on core i7s is punishing even on a well cooled system. 

others have re-cased 8500 and 8700 MoBos. the custom connectors for USB and front panel connectors seems to be the biggest hurdle. I'm not sure what is on the 8910 but since it is a new case design, the pinout may be completely different. Just something to be aware of.

if the CPU cooler / heatsink mounts on the 8910 MoBo are the same as the 8700/8900 then you'll need to work around the screws.

If you do re-case, you probably don't need a massive cooler like an NH15. You might look at the smaller Noctua or Cryorig coolers. The cryorig H7 is getting great reviews.

Along with a new case and new CPU cooler, a PSU upgrade would also bring the system noise and heat down.  There have been some excellent deals recently, One on sale right now is a Seasonic SS 760 platinum for $80 or maybe $75 at new egg with an android pay. I won't post a link because I think it goes against forum terms. I recently upgraded one of my systems to use the SS 660 platinum and it is cool running and nearly silent.

edit: My comment on the NH15 is based on my non-dell system with a Cryorig R1 ultimate which is similar size and cooling. The R1  is cooling an overclocked 4790K 1.275 vCore 4.7Ghz. At this voltage, a massive air cooler makes sense, but since the Dell MoBo is unlikely to over-volt the CPU, the heat generated won't be as high.But if you want super quiet, then the massive cooler might make sense.

8 Posts

October 23rd, 2016 14:00

Hi Cheryl A.,

You say " Brand New XPS 8910 " I would suggest not to go using all kinds of stress tools on your system and contact Dell support, and look at things via tech support if your covered. These individuals that use apps to stress their computers even more are just asking for trouble. exhaust your avenues of Tech support if your able, you will be much better satisfied. Dell tech support is great as long as you are covered.

Cheers

1.2K Posts

October 23rd, 2016 16:00

You say " Brand New XPS 8910 " I would suggest not to go using all kinds of stress tools on your system and contact Dell support, and look at things via tech support if your covered.  

I agree that stress test tools like prime95 are not best for sorting out temp issues. Prime95 is for stability testing and it assumes you have cooling that can handle it. Since the XPS 8910 is not overclocked, there should not be a need for stability testing.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

October 23rd, 2016 17:00

If your video card has fans on it, you might consider replacing it with one that has a blower which exhausts the hot air directly out the back of the PC. If you look around, you'll find that some high(er) end Nvidia cards from various manufacturers have blowers.

Video cards with fans just move hot air around inside the case which might cause CPU temp spikes when the video card is under load.

Certainly easier than trying to swap cases...

No Events found!