doctorharv
1 Copper

Low speaker volume

I have a new XPS410 that came with Vista Business Edition. It has the Sigma Tel High Definition Audio CODEC (whatever that means).  I have hooked up my old PolkAudio speakers (the ones that came with my old HP) but cannot crank the volume up beyond normal "speaking"  level.  I tested the speakers and they are fine.  The microphone output works fine -- I can crank up the volume as loud as I want. I called tech support; they modemed into my PC and could not determine the cause.  It sounds to me as if the speaker output is a "lineout" that needs an external amplifier, but this would be a pretty unsatisfactory feature if so.

I will greatly appreciate any help on this...Thanks!
0 Kudos
2 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: Low speaker volume

You need "powered" speakers - ones that have a built in power amp. If the old speakers are not "powered" that is your problem.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
TrinityII
1 Copper

Re: Low speaker volume

Coincidentally, I have the identical hardware, system and speakers (and low volume problem).  How did you resolve the volume problem?  If you replaced the speakers, which ones do you recommend?

Please respond asap.  Thanks!

0 Kudos