Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

September 28th, 2007 12:00

M1710 Clicks. Not Computer Volume.

I know this is alot of reading, but please take your time to read, if you get to fix this, I'll be very happy! :D

Sorry I had to make another of these thread, I made one before but it seems like no one can see it anymore, I tried to bump it but it won't work so I made a new one hoping someone can help me. :(

As you read the title, my XPS M1710 clicks and I have no idea why. Its a little click, not really anoying but when you play a game for a long period of time or work on it, it gets really anoying to the point I wear headphones and boost the music up so I can't hear it, lol :P.

I was told before to check event log, thats what I did and I got this.

The errors are : Shutdown Performance Monitoring
                          Boot Performance Monitoring
                          Standby Performance Monitoring
                          System Performance Monitoring

Theres 213 events, but thats all theres written, Shutdown Performance Monitoring is the one who comes up the most, theres some at critical level and some not.

I tried to use event log help but it doesn't find anything.

Maybe its my hard drive? maybe not? is it normal that it clicks?
Don't get me wrong, I love my laptop but thats the only thing thats wrong with it, at first it was squealing alot but I fixed it in the bios. Now the clicking is the only thing left in my way.

If you say its normal then ok, but I'll be a little mad for paying so much and having to be irrated while trying to enjoy doing something on it.

Seems like alot of people are having the same problem, only it hasn't been solved.
Some say the problem goes away with time, not for me.
I searched the forum before making the thread, I found nothing that could help me, so my best bet was to make a new thread about it hoping someone, somewhere has found a cure for it! :P

Oh, by the way, I think when my laptop is loading something it doesn't click, maybe that will help finding how to fix it. Just know that the click is not loud, its basically the little click you get when you use Internet Explorer, but its not I.E. When I'm doing absolutely nothing on my laptop, it clicks, no application running, nothing loading, sound.

Well thanks, hope this can be fixed!

14 Posts

September 28th, 2007 18:00

Just a note that my M1710 has that occasional click too.  I assumed it was normal.

32 Posts

September 29th, 2007 00:00

I have the same problem on mine. It doesnt bother me too much, but I agree for how much the laptop cost it shouldnt have any problems.

12 Posts

September 29th, 2007 09:00

Hm, so I'm not alone!

You guys should run a event log and see if you get same errors as me.

Anyways, hope we can have this fixed!

If you don't know how go to control panel, put classic view on go to performance information and tools then advanced tools and click on view performance details in event log.

Let me know if you get same errors has I stated on my first post.

Message Edited by sg4real on 09-29-2007 05:39 AM

14 Posts

September 29th, 2007 15:00

sg4real wrote:
The errors are : Shutdown Performance Monitoring
                          Boot Performance Monitoring
                          Standby Performance Monitoring
                          System Performance Monitoring

Theres 213 events, but thats all theres written, Shutdown Performance Monitoring is the one who comes up the most, theres some at critical level and some not.

Doing what you asked, mine is exactly like yours -- tons of events - 1243 (have had mine since February).  Almost everyday I have those 4 events happen and just the same -- some at criticial level and some at warning level.

I would be curious to see the results of someone here that has not had any occasional clicking noise.

September 29th, 2007 20:00

You guys have a Hitachi drive in your system? My hard drive makes something similar to a "clicking" sound. I know it's the head of my hard drive hitting the platters, have had the same problem with my last hard drive and Dell refuses to replace it until it completely crashes. It gets very annoying having to back everything up every couple of days cause I don't know when it's going to crash, it's only a matter of time. If your running Vista it could be the sub-woofer. I noticed when I upgraded my system that for some reason there was constantly noise coming out of the woofer. I've ventured back to XP since my "wow" experience with Vista. And from when you describe that it makes the "clicks" it sounds like your having the same problem that I am!

Message Edited by abstractrezn6 on 09-29-2007 04:52 PM
No Events found!