Desktops General - Read Only

Last reply by 10-14-2015 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

MAXX Audio Supports Stereo Only??

So i just got my new computer today (XPS 8500 SE) and i was glad to see it had the inputs to support my 5.1 Logitech speakers. So i plugged them in and tried to use the "Dell Audio" (It's really Realtek in disguise) So i set my setup to 5.1..but then all of the features turn off and it doesn't enable you to turn them back on.

Is there any way to fix this..?, Cause i find it pretty odd that they advertised 7.1 integrated audio with MAXXAudio and then all of it's features only support 2.1 (Stereo). I ran the test in speaker configuration and all of my speakers are clearly working..yet i only get the front 2 even with it set to 5.1 (Features still disabled)

Has anyone else found a solution for this?

All of my drivers are apparently up-to-date...I tried getting Realtek but it says none of the drivers found are supported. But it makes sense since Dell Audio is a modified version of it.

Replies (15)
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I feel the same way...I tried every which way to see if I could fix the problem, but finally decided to research this issue. Bottom line, Dell is really not responsive nor are they admitting this screw up. I'm very disappointed that to use my old 5.1 speaker set, I would need a new sound card. My old XPS 8400 was better built with THX sound. Very disappointed with silence from Dell.

3 Silver

the only way to get 5.1 surround sound and above (7.1) is to purchase and install a pcle sb soundcard. for some unknown reason Dell in its infinate wisdome chose only to equipp this delux high performance desktop with laptop[ 2.1 sound attributes.   Boy what a mistake ...youre not the only ones compalining...However you should read all post concerning pcle nonreconigition post and usb 3.0 reconigation posts  on this forum also ..These are 2 of the main  design flaws contained within the xps8500 model...  if in fact your are one of the lucky ones that were able to install a sb 5.1/7.1 pcle soundcard and have it reconized pleease also note concerning this .....most claim that if in fact it does get reconized  the sound quality and performance is poor at best somewhat muted or muffled not chrisp and clean as you would previously be use to.... about a week ago dell  dell released a new bios version A09 to alledegedy to correct this non pcle reconigation problem ...but due to some techical dell site glitch many have not been able to download the new A09 bios revision.. Personallly i for one have not been able to download this new bios  for my 2 xps 8500se"s  so I still am facing the same sound delima as you  when trying to use my astec lansing ADA 885 5.1 speakers  only thing I can say at this point is to follow the post and act accordingly.....and continue complaining to dell tec support .....remember the squeeky wheel always get the oil...  this saga has been ongion for approx 5 months    good luck check and see what bios version is installed in your comp    these 2  prob were still relevelant in  bios A06

MAC  II

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hi MAC II....thanks for the note. I do noticed a quality issue and it is quite disappointing with Dell. I would have selected a different system if I had known of this issue. Unfortunately, I am stuck now. I know Dell reviews these forums and what makes it doubly frustrating is the lack of acknowledgement. The "old" Dell would at least address the issue, even if they did not have an answer, but this "new" Dell just hides. They must have a new product management team. Oh well, I will take your advice and follow the post, now that I know it's not me.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I also purchase the XPS8500 a month ago and  have the same problem with the sound card it only play stereo but I have 5.1 speakers that I bought from dell 4 years ago but when I plug them to my new PC it only show stereo

10 Diamond

5.1 speakers have several color coded plugs not 1.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Diagnostics & Tools

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I'm confused like everyone else. My XPS 8500 has 6 audio jacks on the back and two on the top. The ones on the back have little icons (nearly impossible to read). But I can't find a description anywhere in Dell or the Web about what each jack is supposed to be for. 

Worse, this thread and similar ones, imply that the XPS 8500 only supports stereo speakers, not quad or 5+1. So are all those extra jacks useless?

I'd like to hook up some generic powered speakers: 2 for front, 2 for rear, and a subwoofer. Is my only hope to purchase a sound card? 

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor