Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 1st, 2008 14:00

MY COMPUTER DOES NOT RECEIVE INFO FROM THE MOUSE

Hi, I have got a relatively old Dell computer (Dimension L600 cx). Recently the mouse started not working and after various checks that I have made, I have realized that the mouse has basically stopped communicating with the computer. I have changed 3 "mouse" just to make sure. Everything else works but its not possible to work without the mouse. Is it possible that due to this minor fault my computer is now to be thrown away? Is there anyone out there that can explain to me what to do or what next? Thank you very much Anto1968

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 1st, 2008 15:00

If you unplugged and plugged in a mouse (mice) with the PC powered on there is a good chance the Mouse I/O chip can be damaged.  Older PC's that do not use USB connections for the mouse and keyboard are susceptable to damage if either of these devices are unplugged or plugged in with the PC Powered on.  Unfortunately if there is damage to the chips the only option is to replace the motherboard.  Damage to the devices (e.g. mouse) can also occur if they are connected with the PC powered on.  Older keyboards and mice had caution tags on them about this.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 1st, 2008 15:00

Anto1968

As you have tried three known working 'mice', then it sounds like the motherboard's PS-2 port has failed.

You can either replace the motherboard, or use a PCI, PS-2 controller card.

Bev.

3 Posts

December 2nd, 2008 01:00

Hi Bev,

Many thanks for your quick reply. I am not a computer literate at all.

I will try to find out with Dell if I can buy either options you have suggested and obviously the cost.

My intentions were to actually sell the whole computer for peanuts, but even those now could be a wish not happening.

Thank you once again for your helpful and fast response.

Best Regards

Anto1968

3 Posts

December 2nd, 2008 01:00

Hi Fireberd,

Many thanks for your quick response to my questions.

I find it amazing that just because there could ba a damage to the mouse chip I have to throw the whole of the motherboard. But then again I have no idea about computers and how they work, therefore anything in this field amazes me.

I just wanted to sell the thing for very little money and now I cannot even do that.

Anyway, many thanks for your kind help.

Best Regards

Anto1968

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 2nd, 2008 12:00

Hi Bev,

Many thanks for your quick reply. I am not a computer literate at all.

I will try to find out with Dell if I can buy either options you have suggested and obviously the cost.

My intentions were to actually sell the whole computer for peanuts, but even those now could be a wish not happening.

Thank you once again for your helpful and fast response.

Best Regards

Anto1968

Hi.

I doubt that Dell will have the parts, for a system that old.

L Series motherboards cost about $47± on eBay and you could can buy a PCI P2-2 controller card from HERE

Bev.

No Events found!