SStanislas
6 Indium

Major Problem Dell E310

I have a major problem.  My computer makes a beeping sound when it starts up and nothing shows on my monitor.  Before my computer crashed I ran a diagnostic test and there was an error saying MSG: IDE devide failed:  Blank media or no media present in optical drive.  Test requires media with digital data (Resource CD, Installation CD). 

Would anyone be able to help me, I would very much appreciate it.

Thank you

0 Kudos
6 Replies
nidhin0816
6 Indium

Re: Major Problem Dell E310

Disconnect all external devices connected to your computer

Reset BIOS, Reseat Memory modules and disconnect the cables for optical drive and try to boot.

If problem persists. Reseat CMOS Battery.

To check its not a monitor issue. unplug the monitor cable from the back of the computer and check for the monitor self test feature check. if it displays then monitor is not the cause of the problem.

After doing this check for the beep codes.

0 Kudos
SStanislas
6 Indium

Thank you for your quick reply, but I am no techie, so how exactly do I reset BIOS.  Thanks
0 Kudos
Highlighted
nidhin0816
6 Indium

Restart computer and keep tapping f2 will get you to the bios screen. it is blue background screen.

If it is single page bios highlight boot sequence and hold on Alt key and E together and then hold Alt key and F  together untill you hear some beep sounds.

Press ESC and select save changes and system will restart.

If you are having tree bios. go to Maintainence and go to load defaults and press enter and select continue and ok.

Press ESC and select save changes and system will restart.

Do make sure to disable floppy from driver/Integrated Devices options if you do not have one. otherwise you will get a Diskette Drive Seek Failure everytime you start the computer.

Message Edited by nidhin0816 on 08-14-2008 11:47 PM
0 Kudos
SStanislas
6 Indium

This will work inspite of the fact my screen is blank?  I will try this when I get home this evening.
0 Kudos
nidhin0816
6 Indium

BIOS is Basis system setup screen it works everytime.

Screen is blank as there might be a problem with Display Drivers/OS/Hard Disk Drive

0 Kudos
SStanislas
6 Indium

Okay thank you very much for your help.  I will try it out and let you know what happens. 🙂
0 Kudos