Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 8th, 2013 17:00

Maxing out the Dimension 9200

Hi, It's been a long time since I've been here and it looks like you not only moved the furniture around but you also built a new whole new place! Cool! I'm needing to upgrade my wife's old Dimension 9200/410 so it can have enough horsepower to run W7. I've read some old, old posts about this and it appears that QX6700 or possibly the QX6800 quad-core processors may be the fastest processors one could upgrade to on this motherboard with the 82P965 chipset. According to Intel's information on these processors the MaxTDP on both of them is 130w, twice that of the current processor, a 2.13Ghz E6400 at 65w. Can this motherboard support that kind of power consumption if that is, as I understand it, wattage? Would it burn a black hole in it or would it require an upgrade on the power supply if such was available? I've looked through the system's list of as-built components and don't see anything that mentions the power supply. The heat sink for the processor, however, is a very large one that would seem to be able to handle just about anything. It is a full height case which allows for a lot of cooling. Thanks for any answers!

47 Posts

December 31st, 2013 07:00

Ok, so I took the plunge and ordered the quad core Core 2 Extreme QX6800, 4M cache, 2.93Ghz, 1066 Mhz FSB and put in 4GB of the 800Mhz speed memory which is the max amount of memory this motherboard will handle. Just the memory upgrade alone really made Windows XP snap and pop like it used to! As far as I can tell this it a totally maxed out board and the processor hasn't blown a carboniferous hole in it due to the doubled wattage. It runs W7 admirably well and, so far, this experiment seems to be a success. Dell builds great stuff!

47 Posts

December 31st, 2013 08:00

Ok, I took the plunge, ordered and installed the QX6800 quad core Core 2 Extreme processor with 8M cache, 2.93Ghz speed and 1066 Mhz FSB. I also upgraded the RAM's speed to the 800 Mhz type and maxed out the RAM. Just increasing the RAM's speed made XP Pro snap and pop like it used to do but now the system runs Windows 7 admirably well and will, hopefully, last a while longer.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 31st, 2013 08:00

No Events found!