Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 7th, 2008 04:00

McAfee and Spyware

Hi.  I have comcast and they offer the free McAfee Suite for their customers which is great.  I have this for years now and it works really good.  However, about a year ago I installed the Webroot Spyware for extra protection and just now when I start my computer up the McAfee says that my computer is not fully protected and that I have to click on the fix button and fix it and it does.  This happens every time I start my computer now.  I asked a McAfee technician and they are saying we can't have another spyware installed with McAfee, that over a period of time, like now, it will stop McAfee from working properly.  They said I should uninstall my Webroot Spyware because I don't need it anyways that McAfee already has that.  I was told that extra protection from another spyware was a good thing for your computer for extra protection.  Can I get some opinions from some of you people and tell me what I should do?  If McAfee works fine alone then I don't mind uninstalling the Webroot Spyware but the technician is saying that I have to contact Webroot to get a cleaning tool to get all the files out of my computer.  Is this true also?  I would appreciate all the help I can get from any of you.  Thank you.

799 Posts

December 23rd, 2008 14:00

My question I have is how come my CD won't come out of my drive when I push the button, it doesn't happen all the time just sometimes.  I push the button but it won't open.  The only way to get it to open is to restart my computer and keep pushing the button until it opens.  Like I said only happens once in a great while.  Is there a reason for this, is there a reset button inside I can push to get the CD to open manually, what should I do?  I have a Dell Inspirion 530S with windows XP Professional and just bought this computer April of this year.

Hello CDLOUS4, To try and give you an answer about McAfee, it is not recommended to use more than one anti-virus program at one time as they tend to conflict with one another.

Many of them want even install if the find another on the system.

I have McAfee installed and it has never let a virus get to my system.

Over the years, I have used almost every one out there, and find McAfee to be no better or no worse than the rest.

Virus protection programs are really just a personal choice, as most of them do them same or almost the same, just in different ways.

To answer you question about the CD\DVD drive not opening properly, I would contact Dell support and request a replacement drive while it is still in warranty.

If it is acting up this early, only time will tell if it will fail after the warranty expires.

Hope this helps.

935 Posts

December 7th, 2008 05:00

In my opinion, adding additional "protection" software to a system that is adequately protected is a waste of resources, space and can slow a system down. You already have a commercially proven suite of Internet security that provides a two-way firewall and protects you from spyware, spam, phishing, viruses, etc. No need to overkill that protection.

I don't know anything about Webroot Spyware or if it requires cleaners to remove any leftover files. I would uninstall it, turn off the computer, turn it back on and see if it continues to cause the McAfee popup. If not, then you're done! If it does, Google the internet for possible solutions or visit Webroot's homepage and forums for advice to completely clean it off your system.

347 Posts

December 7th, 2008 05:00

Thank you very much for your opinion.  I will uninstall the Spy Sweeper I have then.  I was told that it would add more protection but if I don't need it then why have it and now it's starting to conflict with McAfee so I will uninstall it then.  Thanks again.

347 Posts

December 7th, 2008 11:00

I was just told by a renovator of another forum that McAfee Security is no good and I should dump it.  It has conflicts with things because their updates make it that way and they don't want to take the blame.  I was also told that I should download the free version of Avast and see how that works out.  They also said to use the clean tool to uninstall McAfee to make sure everything gets out of my system.  It's hard to listen to both sides when I know both these forums have people that know alot about computers and probably have had them for a long time.  I am not good with computers but do listen to people that I think know a lot about them and that's how I learn different things, that's why I come to these forums and post my concerns or questions so that I may get the help I need.  Now I'm facing this issue with what you said and what the other people are saying in the other forum, there were 4 renovators who spoke the same things.  Now I am confused and don't know what to do.  Any ideas?

1.3K Posts

Hi CDLOUS4,

Your post is fine as far as i see. their is posting info in the link below.

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/3511.aspx?tid=38a752d5-165e-4ba4-8176-f93484550056&top=38a752d5-165e-4ba4-8176-f93484550056%20

Some software will lock the CD tray while using, but if this is not the case your drive may be going bad , "Call Dell".  There is a small hole in the

front of your CD drive you can push a straitened paper clip in to manually open.

347 Posts

Hi Keithg2.  I have no idea how to post a question in this forum anymore.  I can't find where to post them, this is so much different then before, can you please tell me how to post a question?  Thanks.  My question I have is how come my CD won't come out of my drive when I push the button, it doesn't happen all the time just sometimes.  I push the button but it won't open.  The only way to get it to open is to restart my computer and keep pushing the button until it opens.  Like I said only happens once in a great while.  Is there a reason for this, is there a reset button inside I can push to get the CD to open manually, what should I do?  I have a Dell Inspirion 530S with windows XP Professional and just bought this computer April of this year.  If you could please answer these questions as well as tell me step by step how to post any questions in the forum.  Thank you very much.

347 Posts

December 24th, 2008 04:00

Thank you.  I have only the McAfee installed now and will keep it that way.  I have never had a problem with McAfee and it is free for comcast users so that's a good thing also.  As far as the CD getting stuck sometimes I will contact Dell.  Thank you for all your help.

No Events found!