Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 14th, 2008 20:00

Media Card Reader disappears. Question

When the Media Reader disappears, does the Bluetooth Hub also disappear? This can be determined by going into device manager and opening the list of USB controllers. There should by a HUB called CAB-200 (this is the media reader HUB) and another one, possibly underneath it, listed as a Generic USB HUB. The generic hub should be the HUB for the Bluetooth device. This can be confirmed by right clicking on it, selecting Properties, and then the Power tab. The Bluetooth device will listed under attached devices.

Message Edited by DELL-ChrisM on 03-14-2008 04:18 PM

Dell customer care/service. If already out of warranty, click hereFind your Service Tag
DELL-Chris M
#IWork4Dell

44 Posts

March 16th, 2008 17:00

Yes; if I delete both in Device Manager and then scan for new devices they come back online.

30 Posts

March 17th, 2008 16:00

My bluetooth doesn't seem to go away with the reader.  It is still listed in the same generic controller as my keyboard and mouse.  There is an unknown device which i can only assume to be the reader.

84 Posts

March 17th, 2008 18:00

Don't have bluetooth.

John

209 Posts

March 17th, 2008 20:00

Mine shows as Unknown Device.

6 Posts

March 17th, 2008 21:00

Chris,

Don't have bluetooth.  I have Dell Inspiron 530.  You have my other computer info on my first note.

On my Device Manager, under Drives, listed TEAC USB-HS (there are four, one for each card)---USB Device

Again, under Portable Devices listed USB---HS---(four, one for each card)

Under Universal Serial Bus controllers:  CA-200 (properties show TEAC (port_#0005.Hub#0008

Also listed is the normal USB devices plus a Generic (properties show Hub has multiple TTS-

USB Root Hub (#0008 - shows CA-200

Don't know if this will help any.  Anyway, when a compact flash card is inserted into the Media Card Reader, all this disappears on the device manager as well as listed on my Computer.  The only way I get them back and showing is to shut down mu CPU completely and then start again.  However, I am still not able to use my card.  Sure would like some real help with this.

My system:

Dell Inspiron 530; Vista Home Premium

Intel-Core2 Duo CPU- E6550 each 2.33GHz

3 GB memory

16xDVD+/-RW drive

8 USB prots, 4 rear, 4 front

13-1 TEAC Media Card Reader

Canon Pixma MP470 All in One

Compact Flash Card - Cannon FC-32MH High Speed, came with Canon A95 Digital Camera

Compact Flash Card - SanDisk Ultra II-256 MB

The Media Card reader, all four types showing disappear when cards are inserted (one at a time; shut down computer, restart; then try again with other card), so I am unable to use or access them.  I know the cards are good as Best Buy tried them in their CPU.

Message Edited by JnMyr on 03-18-2008 11:39 AM

69 Posts

March 17th, 2008 22:00

Same situation as previous poster:  NO Bluetooth.  Dell XPS 410 on Win XP Pro.

552 Posts

March 18th, 2008 07:00

Thought i was maybe suffering form this myself,i noticed other day cardreader wasnt working and it disapeared in My computer.Found out it was a cable cas loose in back of reader.Also i dont have bluetooth it was a add on i did myself after got my comp.Just thought id share this.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 18th, 2008 21:00

We are working this.

258 Posts

March 18th, 2008 21:00

Chris.

I've had my XPS 420 since December and noticed today that the Media Reader disappeared - it was there three days ago.  I tried the power saving fixes you recommended but can't get it back.

How do I get this rascal up and running again?

209 Posts

March 19th, 2008 00:00

As I mentioned in another thread I got my drives back by pushing the bluetooth button on my 19-1 card reader.  When the drives disappear my USB Mass Storage Device becomes a Unknown Device which Windows thinks has the right driver loaded.

5 Posts

March 19th, 2008 18:00

I've had the same problem recently.  Not sure if it was a Vista update that did it, or somehow got turned off in the BIOS.  I've checked the BIOS, nothing listed there, but the card reader worked fine until about a week or so ago.  Bluetooth led does light up, and the card readers on my monitor work fine.  Just not on the XPS 420.  I will attempt 'pushing' the button on the 19-1 card reader once I return home, but still, that would just be a 'bandaid' fix.
Message Edited by Shadoze on 03-19-2008 02:44 PM

258 Posts

March 19th, 2008 20:00

I tried pushing the button on the card reader - didn't help.  Today, after being off all night, it reappeared and seems to be working fine - the past two days it wasn't visible.

March 20th, 2008 00:00

I just updated to Vista SP 1 and thus far this issue has disappeared. I still have my fingers crossed however...I recommend updating to Vista SP1 (Now available) and then completely powering down your machine following the initial re-start following the update. My card reader has been fully functional so far and I have been using it all day....My symptoms were the same as all the others here just yesterday....the reader has been unusable...of course the SP1 might cause other issues on your system but thus far I have no compalints to report.

Brian

85 Posts

March 20th, 2008 01:00

I just installed Vista SP1 as well and I'm hoping it solves quite a few minor issues I'm having :smileysad:

I was experiencing the same problem with the media card reader on my XPS 720 about a month ago. I did two things to fix the problem and have not had any issues in over 30 days...

1. I downloaded the most updated firmware & driver for the card reader & integrated bluetooth hardware from my Dell Support suite.

2. Whenever I attempt to insert or remove cards from the 19 -in-1 media card reader, I treat it as if it were a Mac. Before I insert an SD card for example, I go to the corresponding icon in "Computer" and double click it. It then asks me to "Please insert a disk into SD card drive". I insert the card and all is well. Before I remove any card from the reader, I right click the drive icon in "Computer" and select "eject". I then remove the card and all is well.

The card reader has not dissappeared on me since I started doing this.

Message Edited by Babtanian on 03-19-2008 09:25 PM

85 Posts

March 20th, 2008 21:00

I'm glad it helped you out. I kinda figured the same thing. It's not that abrasive or painful to do and it appears to have solved the issue. I was a PC guy forever and went to the "dark-side" in early 2006 when I picked up a Power Mac G5 Dual 2.0 GHz. I was surprised to find that almost everything you did required a permissive "eject" or the OSX operating system would yell at you.

To make a long story short... I'm used to it. I'm also glad that you mentioned SP1 didn't fix the issue, because now I have no plans on changing my procedure. Thanks for eliminating another headache!

No Events found!