Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 6th, 2013 18:00

Media Card Reader

I purchased a Dell Inspiron 620s, Now out of warranty. Recently for the first time I tried to insert a SDHC card. The slot would not accept it. On closer exam the slot is labeled " SD/MMC-ms/Pro" An internet search revealed that this is a little used Sony proprietery SD card.used mainly for digital cameras. Now here is the frustration. A review of the downloaded manuel states clearly & shows that the 620s should have multiple slots to accomodate different SDHC common cards Yet my computer has one unusable card slot. I'm sorry I didn'y notice this before the warranty ran out.

I would appreciate any help, insight or suggestions any one has on how to pursue this. I feel Dell either made a mistake or perhaps did it knowingly. 

A rip off?

Either way the card reader slot is useless.

I just joined this community today and I am not familiar on how and where to post this plea.

Thanks, tman-gman

8.8K Posts

April 7th, 2013 10:00

tman-gman,

I always test all my peripherals when I get a  new system to make sure they are all functioning normally and as they should. 

I wish you would have brought this to Dell's attention before your warranty expired.

At the time of purchase this could have been straightened out, or anytime within the warranty period also.

Now, I think you are going to be faced with buying a new media card reader if you do use it.  What did tech support say about this issue when you spoke to them?

Zb1

4 Posts

April 7th, 2013 17:00

I thank you for the response and it makes perfect sense. I should have tested all the computers functions. The computer is not long out of warranty at all, however In my attempt to contact tech support I was informed that telephone support is no longer available. Any other options available? I would like to pursue this if for only an explanation by Dell how this mess up occurred. Can I contact tech support via email via this site?

Thanks again,

tman-gman

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 8th, 2013 08:00

tman-gman,

This was not a mess up according to the internal Card Reader specifications? Please show me where our external documentation erroneously mentions SDHC.

The Inspiron 620s shipped with the 8-in-1 Integrated Media Card Reader.
(3P7PT Media Card Reader with Cable, Inspiron 620MT/ST and Vostro 260ST)

The specifications for this card reader do not mention SDHC -
* Compliant with Universal Serial Bus Specification Revision 2.0
* Compliant with USB Mass Storage Class Bulk only Transport Specification
Rev. 1.0
* Supports High-speed (480Mbps) and Full-speed (12Mbps) Data Transfer
* Support SD1.1/SD2.0
* Support MMC version 4.2
* Support xD 1.2
* Support MS-PRO v1.02
* Support MS v1.43

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

April 8th, 2013 09:00

You are not correct.  the "SD/MMC-ms/Pro"  will accept a sony Memory Stick 1.0 or an SD card.

You must not be inserting it correctly.   SD MMC is one kind of card and MS/PRO is the Sony Memory stick.  Whether or not that supports Larger than 2 gig aka 8 Gig SDHC up to 32 Gig SDHC is another matter.   The number of media can be how you get to 8.  1. SD cards, 2. MultiMediaCard (MMC), 3. Mini SD cards (with adapter),  4. Micro SD cards (with Adapter),  5. Sony MS/PRO cards, 6. Sony MS PRO DUO (With adapter), 7 XD card Type M,  RS MMC

This Reader claims 74 in 1 based on these slots.  

The Pro Duo is the current card media that the PSP uses and most Sony Based Cameras.

The slot design can take either by having one card or the other upside down in the slot.

It requires an adapter to be used in an MS/PRO slot. Sony Also makes a Universal Reader MRW68E/D1/181 that will take SD or MS/PRO

Sony MRW68ED1181 Memory Stick(R) Duo And SD USB Reader Writer

Sony Media Memory Stick and SD USB Reader/Writer (MRW68E/D1/181)

Type All-in-one
Slots 5
Installation Type 3.5" Internal Drive Bay
InterfaceUSB 2.0
Compatibility  CF Slot: CF I / CF I Pro / CF I Pro II / CF I Elite Pro / CF I Elite Pro / CF I ultra II / Shoot & Store CF / CF II / CF II Magicstor / CF II Ultimate / CF-Digital Film / CF 3.0 / CF 4.0 / EXTREME III CF / EXTREME CF / ULTRA II CF / HS CF / XS-XS CF / CF ELITE PRO / CF PRO / CF PRO II / IBM MD / HITACHI MD / MAGIC STOR MD

SD/MMC Slot: SD / EXTREME SD / EXTREME III SD / ULTRA SD / ULTRA II SD / ULTRA II SD PLUS / ULTRA-X SD / ULTRA SPEED SD / SD PRO / SDHC / SD ELITE PRO / HS SD / MMC / MMC 4.0 / MMC 4.2 / HS MMC / HS RS MMC / RS MMC / RS MMC 4.0 / MMC Mobile / MMC Plus / MMC Micro / DV-MMC / mini SD / HS mini SD

MS Slot: MS / MS PRO / MS DUO / MS PRO DUO / MS MG PRO / MS PRO MG HIGH SPEED / MS PRO MG EXTREME III / MS MG / MS MG DUO / MS MG PRO DUO / EXTREME MS PRO / MS SELECT / EXTREME III MS PRO / ULTRA II MS PRO / HS MS MG PRO / HS MS MG PRO DUO / HS MS PRO / HS MS PRO DUO / MS ROM / MS PRO Magic Gate / MS DUO Magic Gate

M2/MICRO SD Slot: MICRO SD (T-Flash), MS MICRO (M2)

Extreme Digital Slot: Extreme Digital Media Cards / Extreme Digital M type / Extreme Digital H type

Requires adapter: HS RS MMC / RS MMC / RS MMC 4.0 / MMC Mobile / MMC Micro / mini SD / HS mini SD

Dell K6M7C Front I/O Panel Assembly Inspiron 620s

4 Posts

April 8th, 2013 09:00

Dear Chris,

Thanks for your involvement. The issue is my documentation reads that my 620s was to be shipped with an  8-in-1 card reader, It most certainly DID NOT. I have a 1 card reader slot, not 8. in addition, the slot is labled on the computer and identified as "SD/MMC-ms/Pro" It will not accept a SD card. The printed specifications read as you describe, however that is not was shipped to me. My description, " SDHC" was not mentioned in Dell's documentation,  [my ignorance] , you are correct in that regard however that is a moot point as the real issue is I do not have what was promised by Dell.

To summarize, I do not have an 8-1  Integrated Media Card Reader.  I have a 1 slot card reader as described above, and it is virtually useless to me.

I am cordially requesting that  you, representing Dell, deliver on my original order. Dell made a mistake!

Thanks in advance,

tman-gman

No Events found!