Highlighted
3 Silver

Memory 64bit OS shows 4GB / 32bit - 3GB ??

Hi, I have a question about this, I've searched the web and found 32bit machines will not display the 4GB RAM installed, I also read a machine that runs 64bit OS will show the actual amount of RAM installed, so my question is does the machine with the 32bit OS not really use the full 4GB ? 2559MB is all it is showing, what's that unused GB doing, is it just dead laying there or ...?

Last question, I am going to go w Vista 64bit OS on one of my Dell PC, what hardware do I need to change, I read where optical drives would be one thing, is there anything other hardware items I need to change ?

HG Woman Happy

Tia 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

Re: Memory 64bit OS shows 4GB / 32bit - 3GB ??

Try reading this link to explain 32bit OS -vs- 64bit and 4GB of RAM. FYI.. Vista 32bit with SP1 shows 4GB of RAM. It just doesn't address the entire 4GB.

As far as hardware replacement, I guess it depends what you have where the manufacturer does not provide a 64bit driver. I have an XPS 410 and my optical drive works fine in Vista HP 64bit. My printer and video card manufacturer have a 64bit driver that I downloaded. Most of my applications run as 32bit.

Studio XPS 435T/9000 (His)
Inspiron 1720 (Hers)
Inspiron 530s (Server)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Thank you Keith for your terrific and patient answer.  The link to the document you provided was exactly what I was looking for. 

Unfortunately, I found some other answers from other users in other threads that were very unkind and condescending.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

Thank You, this info was just what I was hoping to find, thnx again  Woman Very Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Thanks from me too, Keith. That was a great link you provided. Really does a great job to explain it in terms that I can understand better.
Area 51 R5/Intel i9 7980XE (18 core)/Nvidia GTX 1080/64 GB DDR4 Memory/AW 1500 Watt Power supply/Win10 Pro 64bit
0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

I would simply like to add that I went vista 64 and did not need any hardware changes. I simply needed the 64-bit drivers. One old game I have trouble with - I simply loaded that game to my 32-bit laptop. I know it did run in my 64-bit machine when it was 32-bit so I am assuming it and 64-bit just don't like each other. Even with that one issue (which I didn't spend too much time "debugging"), 64-bit was well worth it....

XPS 420 with Vista Ultimate 64-bit - Q6700 - 8 GB 800 MHZ Mushkin RAM - 2 500 GB Samsung - 425 Watt PSU

Nvidia 8800gt - 24" Gateway LCD

0 Kudos