Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 9th, 2015 17:00

Memory Card Problem

When I insert my memory card into the SD slot on my Inspiron 546 PC I get a message from Microsoft Windows that I "need to format the disk in Drive E: before you can use it."   I have used this card successfully before and in the past a menu would come on the screen that would allow me to download the pictures to my C: drive.  Any thoughts on how to fix this so I can download pictures as in the past?

August 10th, 2015 08:00

Hi, 

Format the SD card once and try again. 

Does this card work on a different machine?? Have you tried a different card on this machine??

Suspecting mostly SD card problem. 

Regards

11 Posts

August 11th, 2015 17:00

I have tried two cards on this machine.  Both have worked successfully before.  Neither will work now.   

August 11th, 2015 18:00

Please update the chipset drivers from dell support site and try again.
Do the cards work if your format them ??

Regards

11 Posts

August 12th, 2015 19:00

It will not let me format them.  I go through the steps and in the end it says they cannot be formatted in E: drive.

I cannot find a reference to "chipset".  Would it be found under another name?

11 Posts

August 13th, 2015 18:00

Can i format it in the camera?  I did that originally and it worked ok.

August 13th, 2015 18:00

The drivers will be under the category chipset, if you dont see it, then please search under firmware if any.

Try formatting the card on a different machine please.

August 14th, 2015 21:00

Yes you can definitely do that, but keep in mind you will lose the data stored in camera/memory card.

11 Posts

August 17th, 2015 18:00

I believe I found the driver listed as SD/MMC USB Device under Portable Devises E:\.  An update search yielded "The best driver software for your device is already installed and is up to date."  Would it make any sense to uninstall this and reinstall?

August 19th, 2015 03:00

Yes please you can go ahead as it will clear out any corrupted files in the existing drivers.

No Events found!