Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 9th, 2008 15:00

Memory Problems

Ok so I have been having problems with my computer for a few weeks now. So I'm just going to ask for suggestions.

About 4 times now, I have shut down my computer at night, and when I try to reboot the computer, I get a message that no HD's are found. So I go to reinstall windows and then it picks up the HD's.

Wierd. So I try to restart the computer this morning, and nothing. Wouldn't pick up the hd's nothing.

So I take out all the insides of the computer, reset everything, CPU, all memory, cd drives everything.

try to put everything back in, and now I get beeps, 1-3-2 and then the BCD lights in the back are all amber, which means memory I believe.

But this is the first this has done that. So how do I go about figuring out what is causing this problem?

It's a DIM 4600 from 2004 with 2 gigs of ram.

Windows XP of course.

Any suggestions please reply.

Thanks.

13 Posts

September 9th, 2008 23:00

I did reset the memory modules. I tried them one by one, 2 by 2 etc. etc.

Still the same thing. I think it might be the motherboard as well as maybe the memory.It first started with one hard drive going bad, then it was telling me I had no floppy drive installed, now the memory.

I don't want to try to buy more memory, just to find out it's the motherboard.

I'm just going to start saving up money for another computer. Would be cheaper in the long run I believe.

Thanks anyway.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 9th, 2008 23:00

Reseat the RAM modules in their slots, assuming you haven't fried them.

For the other problem, when was last time you replaced the battery on the motherboard?

Ron 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 10th, 2008 00:00

If you don't have a floppy drive and started getting a floppy drive error, along with all the other problems, it sure makes me think the battery on the motherboard died. It's a cheap thing to try. 3-Volt CR2032 coin cell, maybe ~$2 at places like Target, WalMart, etc.

Ron

13 Posts

September 10th, 2008 15:00

I did try a new battery, and it just gave me more problems. I know it's the right battery for the computer, it matches the other one in the computer before I switched it out.

That was actually the first thing I tried to do.

After it was telling me I had no hard drives (2 of them) and then no floppy drive, constant shut downs.

Then the memory. So I will just save up the money for a new one. I can't figure out how to get the motherboard out of the 4600 because it has rivets in the main frame.

Thanks anyway.

Sandra

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 10th, 2008 17:00

Did you press/hold the power button for ~30 sec after removing the old battery and before installing the new one? And did you install the new battery right side up, without fingerpints on the surfaces?

<>Replacing the motherboard.  And if you're sure it's the motherboard, a new Dell motherboard is $145.

Ron

Message Edited by RoHe on 09-10-2008 11:09 AM

6 Posts

September 11th, 2008 07:00

Sandra,

After installing the new battery, have you reconfigured the BIOS settings?

You only want to check the BIOS for 'boot order' or a similar function, and make sure it is pointing to whichever hard drive that contains the OS first.  If you are unsure, set one of the drives and test it.  Doesn't work, then try another drive setting until you find the correct one.

If your machine doesn't have a floppy drive, when you are in BIOS you should set it to disabled.

This step should fix the floppy drive error.

Remember to *SAVE* your settings before you exit the BIOS.

If you still need help, please reply to this post.

~~rlmax

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 22nd, 2008 15:00

I don't see a 4600i listed. Only 4600 and 4600C. Do you mean you have a 4600 with integrated graphics?

There should be a (white) sticker on the motherboard with the part number.  Then check Ascendtech and Centrix for original Dell motherboards.

<>  

Ron 

13 Posts

September 22nd, 2008 15:00

I need to know what the part number is for the motherboard I have in my Dim. 4600i.

I want to see if I can find a better price for the motherboard besides Dell. And they never told me what the part number was.

It's from 2004. Not sure if that helps. If you need any numbers on the motherboard, please let me know.

Thanks.

Sandra

13 Posts

September 24th, 2008 15:00

It would be just the 4600 then, I know it's not the 4600c.

As far as the graphics go, I'm not sure I have a video card.

It might be integrated.

What numbers do I need to look at?

thanks.

Sandra

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 24th, 2008 17:00

<><>I gave you a link to the 4600 motherboard at Ascendtech in one of my previous posts. But that page is blank now, so they must be out of stock. 

If you look here, some of these list the part number for the 4600 motherboard, so you can see if the sticker on your board matches any of them.

If you're sure it's the motherboard, is it worth putting money into this system? Or would you be better off with an entirely new system with a warranty?

Ron 

No Events found!