Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 27th, 2009 09:00

Memory (RAM) for Dimension 3100

I am in the process of researching RAM upgrade options for my Dimension 3100. I currently have 2 x 512MB (533 MHz, PC2-4200) installed and would like to upgrade to 2 x 1GB. I am a little confused as to what type of RAM (specifically speed, frequency, MHz) is compatible with my system and am hoping someone on these forums can help me clear it up.

Here's what I know for sure:

- Maxes out at 2GB of RAM
    - It must be non-ECC
    - DDR2 SDRAM is compatible
    - 240 pin

However, I am getting conflicting information from Dell as to which MHz specs are compatible. The memory selector on the Dell website (http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&category_id=4325&mfgpid=193361&chassisid=-1) is telling me that 667 MHz (PC2-5300) is ok to install, but the manual for my Dimension 3100 is saying that it can only take 533 MHz. 

Can anyone help me clarify whether I can install 667 MHz (PC2-5300), or more likely, Crucial Rendition 1GB PC6400 DDR2-800MHz in my system without messing anything up?

Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S. As I am located in Canada, I would prefer to not order directly from Dell as the shipping can be a little extreme. If someone can help me out as to whether the faster RAM (i.e. 800 MHz) will damage my system, etc. I can find a supplier locally for less money than Dell wants.

Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 27th, 2009 13:00

brooklyn212

The Crucial memory that's certified to work in the 3100, is HERE

Crucial does ship to Canada, see HERE

Bev.

January 27th, 2009 15:00

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response and pointing me in the right direction (to the Crucial site).

However, I'm still curious as to whether the Crucial RAM I mentioned in my original post will work on my Dimension 3100? There's a good deal at a local store on the Crucial Rendition 1GB PC6400 DDR2-800 MHz RAM that I would like to take advantage of rather than pay expensive shipping rates to receive it directly from the US-based Crucial (plus, the exchange rate of USD vs. CND isn't great at the moment!).

Can you let me know whether the 800MHz RAM can be installed on my system without causing damage, or do I absolutely have to stick with something that is 533MHz or less?

Thanks again for all of your help!

No Events found!