Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 12th, 2010 09:00

Memory Ram

I have a XPS 600 with a Foxconn Ls 36 motherboard and I installed 4g of DDR2 ram(2 - 2g ram sticks) in the 1 and 2 slot which indidcated in the BIOS that I have 4g ram. I then checked to see by going to start - run - and typed dxdiag and it still shows me with original 2g ram still. In the BIOS it tells me 1 and 2 slot have 2g per slot total 4g . I'm just trying to add more ram.... can some one help me please ?

Original System - Dell XPS 600 -Windows  XP Pro - 2g DDR ram - Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.4 GHz 3.39 GHz - Foxconn LS 36 motherboard

Thank you.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 12th, 2010 12:00

Are you sure you have the modules in the right slots? Slot 1 is closest to the Pentium CPU. Slot 2 is not the one right next to slot 1, but it has the same color retaining clips as slot 1.

Where did you get this new RAM? Dell PCs can be very finicky about RAM, and may not use it correctly. Many forum users get RAM from crucial.com because they guarantee it'll work in a Dell or they'll take it back.

Ron

6 Posts

March 12th, 2010 13:00

Hey Ron,

Yes I'm sure its in the right slots(white first slot and then 3rd slot white....it also tells me in the BIOS they are in slots 1 and 2...the funny thing is it show me in BIOS with 4g ram but in system information it shows 2g still. The ram is DDR 2 ram.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 12th, 2010 13:00

Just checking... no offense...

Keep in mind that unless you have a 64-bit version of Windows, it can't recognize all 4 GB of installed RAM, even if BIOS recognizes all 4GB. But you should see more than 2 GB, typically about ~3.2-3.5 GB when 4GB are installed.

Does your system share RAM with video? Don't think it should allocate 2GB for video, which could reduce the amount shown by System Information.

Just because the RAM is DDR2, doesn't necessarily  mean it's fully compatible with your system. I'll see if any of the forum gurus have ideas.

Ron

6 Posts

March 12th, 2010 16:00

Hey Ron,

Thanks for your help...no offence taken.

It shows me 2046 memory of ram in DirectX Diagnostic Tool.....I heard someone telling me I would have to change something in BIOS for it to see and take the memory and thats when I got lost and started asking other opinions.

I do thank you for help Ron.

6 Posts

System Info tells me 2g ram.....thanks for your response...what is CPU-Z ?

5.2K Posts

What does Windows tell you about RAM? Not dxdiag, but in System Information. You can also download CPU-Z to detail all the basic hardware.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 12th, 2010 17:00

MTDudley

CPU-Z can be downloaded from HERE

Bev.

5.2K Posts

March 12th, 2010 17:00

Two things to try.

Reseat the RAM modules

Switch the modules to the other socket, or try each one individually in the first socket.

Did you purchase two new modules? Are the modules identical? Not all RAM is constructed the same. Most computers will not recognize a certain number of RAM banks. If the RAM modules are multibank, all modules may not be recognized. If both modules work individually, but not together, this could be the problem. Did you purchase RAM recommended by the supplier for your machine? Some RAM is of lower quality (Value RAM) and may not be fully compatible in a Dell. 

6 Posts

March 12th, 2010 18:00

Thank you Bev.....it says 2g ram.

6 Posts

March 12th, 2010 18:00

I tried using original 2 -512g stick plus the 2 - 2g sticks and switching it around.....the 2 - 2g sticks I'm using are from same company that my son gave me and they are DDR2 ram...so maybe your are right. I also heard I need service pack 3 per xp pro and I heard something in the BIOS changing also.....so I do thank you all for your help its very nice of all of you to help me. I think the ram sticks are ok for this comp. but I could be wrong. If any more thoughts I would really like to hear them :)

Thank you !

No Events found!