Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 9th, 2013 17:00

Memory speed downgraded when I add more RAM

Hello,

Just bough 2 new ram modules for my dell inspiron 518.

Before adding the 2 new modules, the bios reported I had 4GB running at 800Mhz. After adding the new modules bios reports I have 8GB running at 667Mhz.

I tried these combinations:

a) New modules in slots 1 and 3, old ones in 2 and 4.

b) New modules in slots 2 and 4,  old ones in 1 and 3.

In both of them, the bios reports a memory speed of 667 Mhz.

The thing is that, if I remove the old modules, so now the computer has only the 2 new modules, the bios reports that I have 4GB running at 800Mhz

What's going on here?

Thanks

PS: Here is a link to a printscreen of a RAM report. the new modules are Corsair and the old ones Nanya

http://i.imgur.com/zPxtINu.gif

14.4K Posts

July 12th, 2013 06:00

Ok here's the thing. Dells are notorious for having issues with mixed ram when populating all four slots.  Any slight difference in the voltage requirements or specs of the ram sticks will cause the controller to defaut to its lowest speed rating.  If you notice the ram specs as reported by your screen shot are not exaclty the same, as per speed settings.

What happens is there is a program in each ram stick called a SPD. this is what communicates with the bios to tell it what voltage to apply the sticks and what JEDC program the stick should run. If you click on the SPD tab in CPU-z you will see these JEDC setting. this is what establishes the timings for the ram and what operating speed for it to run at.

IF you had a tuneable bios you could most likely alter the bios settings to get the ram to all run at the same speed.

Unfortunatly Dells do not have this.  So this is as good as you are going to get.

1.5K Posts

July 9th, 2013 18:00

Hi dapf73,

Dell has tested the system with maximum 4 GB RAM. However, you may update system BIOS. please refer to the link:http://dell.to/172PFp7.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to reply for any further assistance. 

6 Posts

July 10th, 2013 13:00

Thanks Amogh,

Upgraded the bios. It didn't fix the issue.

1.5K Posts

July 10th, 2013 14:00

Hi dapf73,

According to the screenshot you have pasted all the RAMs are working at 800 MHz. You may check in BIOS for the memory speed. Please follow the steps below:

• Power on the system and tap 3-4 times at Dell logo
  • You may check the ‘Memory Speed’ listed under ‘System’ in BIOS.

Please feel free to reply. I will be glad to assist further.

6 Posts

July 10th, 2013 17:00

Hi Amogh,

The Bios reports that the memory speed is 667 Mhz.

I've been trying to see if the bios allows to change the voltage and/or timings for the  module, but haven't found that option.

Diego

1.5K Posts

July 11th, 2013 18:00

Hi dapf73,

It is not possible to modify the system BIOS to change the RAM speed. According to the screenshot everything is working as it should be. You may leave the system as it is if it working properly after installing 8 GB RAM.

Please feel free to reply for any further questions. I will be glad to assist you.

14.4K Posts

July 11th, 2013 19:00

Go to HERE download and install CPU-z go to the memory tab and look at the speed that is reported. You are running DDR2 ram so you will need to double the value show for the true speed.

6 Posts

July 11th, 2013 20:00

Hi Davet,

The tool reports each module is running at 332.5Mhz, which is congruent with the speed reported by the bios, 667Mhz (give or take a couple of MHz)

You can see the output here:

http://i.imgur.com/Rn3574u.gif

Thanks

Diego

6 Posts

July 11th, 2013 20:00

Hi Amogh,

I wouldn't like to leave the system as it is, since I paid for 400MHz modules. Remember the if I put only the 2 new modules  the machine runs correctly at 2x400Mhz  = 800Mhz.

Is the Inspiron motherboard unable to reconcile the four 400Mhz modules and have them all running at maximum speed?

Thanks

Diego

6 Posts

July 12th, 2013 14:00

Thanks Davet50!

You have been most helpful,  I think it will be Asus next time :)

Diego

No Events found!